Slightly small 15 box ported, will it sound bad?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kingbudman

Illinois
I bought 2 of the new Sundown E-15 V3's and space in my trunk is limited.

The box I am building is 34w x16h x24L and 3/4 thick. I know the box is small and should be thicker but I don't have the room and as it is I will have to assemble the box in the trunk.

I came up with 5.42 cubes Net . The port will be 14.5x2 and 10 inch long and should have a tuning of ~32hz.

Will it sound bad since each sub is ~.5 cubes under what recommended. And my port area is only about half the recommended? (At least I think so, Sundown is in the process of updating the website and all specs are not there yet)

It'll sound bad because your port area is Waaaay too low. Use a single 8 inch sonotube round port instead at 15-16 long. Along with getting 12s instead... Might as well be a prefab.

Also the box being too big and blocking all the bass from traveling forward is a bad idea too, along with needing some room for the subs to lead properly.

Either do sealed 15s or two 12s ported.

I know I wont be winning any comps but will it really be that bad?

I already have the box cut. Just waiting on the subs to get here. The way the box will be the port and subs will face forward and I will fold down the seats.

It is late now so I guess I will put this box in some time this week to see how it fits and then check where I can make it bigger and just build a new box next week.

Thanks

Kingbudman

I know I wont be winning any comps but will it really be that bad?
I already have the box cut. Just waiting on the subs to get here. The way the box will be the port and subs will face forward and I will fold down the seats.

It is late now so I guess I will put this box in some time this week to see how it fits and then check where I can make it bigger and just build a new box next week.

Thanks

Kingbudman
you can try it since you've already done it, but i wouldnt want to do it twice. 2 12s or 1 15 in that airspace with the right port area is going to be ideal

once you make the port the proper size you're going to lose a lot of volume

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.