silicon caulk vs silicon sealant

VTLexus
10+ year member

building my first enclosure, and i just bought some silicon sealant. i saw on crutchfield that they said to use silicon caulk.

same thing, or does it not make a difference? should i go back and get the caulk instead?

also, home depot did not have terminal cups. what stores can they be bought in (radio shack)?

i would resin the inside, but the sealant will work well. I would use titebond II to put all of it together and then use the silicon to put into all the edges and corners.

terminal cups = any audio store will have them usually.

I still don't understand why people wast their money on all that. Fiberglass resin is just simply simply a better option

i used silicone caulk. i dont see any problems doing so..
Use resin and it completley seals off the inside and adds strength to the box aswell. Plus it leaves a MUCH smoother finsh on the inside allowing air to travel faster out the box (if ported).........but that's just me

...An effect of which you'll never see. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I still don't understand why people wast their money on all that. Fiberglass resin is just simply simply a better option
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif Fiberglass resin and hardener cost alot more than silicone caulk... Resin alone doesnt add much strength.(if any) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif In reality, square cuts and wood glue should be all you need... but silicone works well to ensure an air tight enclosure.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif Fiberglass resin and hardener cost alot more than silicone caulk... Resin alone doesnt add much strength.(if any) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif In reality, square cuts and wood glue should be all you need... but silicone works well to ensure an air tight enclosure.
I don't understand why people don't think it adds stength. Do you have any proof that it doesn't? I'm not doubting you, I just want to understand why you say it doesn't

Where I live, when you buy the resin hardener comes with it and it doesn't cost very much either....like $15 for quite alot

Silicon caulk isn't made to expand and contract.It is more for adhesion.Silicon sealent is flexible.Made to expand and contract with joints.And not those joints either:)But like around windows and doors framed in wood so it can expand with the wood.

I use the sealant.

my boxes dont expand or contract , so i dont see any problems there. sometimes i get a bit messy , but once the sub is mounted , it doesnt matter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

VTLexus

10+ year member
VTLexus
Herndon, VA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from