silicon caulk vs silicon sealant

What Ever Ways u do it is fine . I belive in the tecknique where CLAMPING AND GLUEING WORKS WELL. I dnt even use silicon, I just clamp and glue. if u want silicon or resin go ahead ,resin does ad more ridgidity to the box. i can tell u if u clamp the box well use good cuts and lots of wood glue u should be fine unless ur building 10,000 watts in a box. then u need to brace like hell

I know, but it sounds good when you say it;)
True //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

titebond III ftmfw.
T3 is an extraordinary waste of money. The advantages between T1 and T2 are legitimate, but T3 has no use in enclosure building. T3 is no better than T2 because of the way MDF is made: it's wood dust. T3 sinks deeper into woodfibers to add more tensile strength, but cannot do so in MDF. It's almost 2x the price and has no benefits. Elmer's Probond and T1/T2 work just fine.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif Fiberglass resin and hardener cost alot more than silicone caulk... Resin alone doesnt add much strength.(if any) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif In reality, square cuts and wood glue should be all you need... but silicone works well to ensure an air tight enclosure.
I don't understand why people don't think it adds stength. Do you have any proof that it doesn't? I'm not doubting you, I just want to understand why you say it doesn't
Where I live, when you buy the resin hardener comes with it and it doesn't cost very much either....like $15 for quite alot
Resin doesn't do too much of anything actually. It doesn't make anything stronger in reality and doesn't really help otherwise. It does seal better than anything elseand when used with mat, it IS a great strengthener. Otherwise, you're just pouring expensive liquid into your box while silicone does the same job for a fraction of the price.

Pour a thin layer of resin on a piece of aluminum foil and let it dry...when it's dry, try to break it. You'll notice that it will be very brittle and easy to break.My point is, I wouldnt trust a little resin for strength. Fiberglass structures get their strength from the fiberglass mat or cloth. It can be used to seal a box, but I'd rather spend $4-5 on caulk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

VTLexus

10+ year member
VTLexus
Herndon, VA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from