Sick of DC Sounds

Why does it have to be so secretive? It's because they know they're pulling a fast one on people that don't know any better. Keep in mind they hand out these low prices to anyone who is too far from a DC dealer.
It's simple business. Go into any shop and see how much a dealer actually pays for their equipment. Across the board it's about HALF, give or take. The huge mark up is for the dealer, and MSRP is the "suggested retail price." A dealer can charge as much or as little as they want, but that's the suggested price point. I used to work for a shop and I have seen mark ups on stuff, and trust me, they aren't pulling a fast one on anyone.They are doing things pretty much the same as any big name such as Rockford, Kicker, Pioneer, Zapco, etc. Stop bashing them for being a business.

And the 50% off for being too far away? If someone buys their stuff, it gets known around town, then word of mouth might convince a local shop to pick them up and become a dealer. The huge difference is an incentive to get people to buy their products and get the name out there.

It all boils down to business. Haters gonna hate

And I dont understand why people act like the pricing is so top secret. a simple email gets you pricing. not like you have to be someone special to get that list... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

It's simple business. Go into any shop and see how much a dealer actually pays for their equipment. Across the board it's about HALF, give or take. The huge mark up is for the dealer, and MSRP is the "suggested retail price." A dealer can charge as much or as little as they want, but that's the suggested price point. I used to work for a shop and I have seen mark ups on stuff, and trust me, they aren't pulling a fast one on anyone.They are doing things pretty much the same as any big name such as Rockford, Kicker, Pioneer, Zapco, etc. Stop bashing them for being a business.
And the 50% off for being too far away? If someone buys their stuff, it gets known around town, then word of mouth might convince a local shop to pick them up and become a dealer. The huge difference is an incentive to get people to buy their products and get the name out there.

ya I agree, when you have overhead of a store, website, staff, taxes, ect it does add up. we cant survive giving stuff away.

I also agree that DC pricing needs to come down quite a bit.

The point is the shadiness of offering people insane discounts just for being out of a XX mile radius from a dealer. I was unaware that anyone you listed does/did this as standard practice. I don't care about how big the markup is, it really doesn't matter to me. I've seen dealer sheets and realize that they get stuff for around 35-50% of the MSRP, depending on the company(The Xtant sheet I saw was right around 50% off MSRP). The problem I have is with the price discrepency based on location. Why should someone get a better deal than me purely because of where they are located in relation to DC dealers? DC would be better off dropping their MSRP by 25% and sticking with that across the board for everyone. I can't speak for everyone, but there is no way in hell I'd go into a shop and pay those MSRP values for any of their woofers, which from what I have heard, is what most of their dealers price stuff at.

It doesn't affect the non-forum-goers who know no better and just base their opinion on what they see in the store. I bet if they knew DC was handing stuff out so cheaply to other people they'd have a different tune about everything, like how many of us here do.

For the record, I don't even know if I'm eligible for the discount pricing, nor do I even care because DC stuff doesn't suit my needs. It's not like I'm a disgruntled person who is mad because I can't get DC stuff for cheap and can't afford it at a shop. I'm just looking at this from a standpoint of "that looks douchey from the outside."

And the 50% off for being too far away?
Yes, what is so confusing about that?

If someone buys their stuff, it gets known around town, then word of mouth might convince a local shop to pick them up and become a dealer.
And then everyone would stop being able to get good prices on DC stuff, sounds awesome to me. I'm sure they'll have lots of repeat customers after the shop picks up DC and the people are forced to buy from there.

And their business model is "unfair" to a lot of people, it's a common opinion.

Not exactly in this situation.

Example. 5 people in my town buy a new DC level 4 for $100 factory direct. Then i go to the new dealer and ask for one and they say $200. Well, why am i going to pay $200 for something other people got for $100. So no one will buy from the dealer, the dealer goes under, then i get factory direct and it starts again. DC is trying to commercialize like Kicker and everything. It might be smart in a business plan but us as educated consumers dont like it, not to mention the fact that when uneducated members become educated they wont like it. Then negative word of mouth starts going around but its too late, at that point, DC is ripping uneducated people off.

If we are going to talk business, this is DC's fault, not the consumer (or the OP). DC is trying to have their cake and eat it too. You either sell online direct, or you dont and instead build/support a b&m dealer network. DC has been trying to ride the fine line between both of these business models for some time now. Its not a question of if the 'direct' prices get published publicly, but when they will. And to top it off, when DC gets large enough to support a relatively large dealer network, they will undoubtedly dump the direct sales. We've seen this happen before, rely on word of mouth of the hardcore enthusiasts, mostly online, to lay the foundation for a company to go national with a dealer network, just so the company can turn a blind eye to the very market that helped propel the onto the national scene. Like you said, this is business, and in business there is no room for feeling sorry for a company who makes mistakes or tries to play both ends of the stick. DC wouldn't/wont feel bad for us when it turns strictly to its dealer network and we are all forced to pay full msrp, even though many of us have absolutely no need for any of the services that local dealer's overhead will cost us. They dont feel bad for us consumers, so why should we feel bad for them?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.