Shiva x2 12"

I used a shiva and tempest in my ht build. They are ok but not the best for car audio.

Kevin the owner would probably be the one to get in contact with. I put 700 rms to it in my car and it was getting pushed pretty hard. Had it in a 2 cf enclosure tuned to 30

its amazing how many people use woofers in the wrong alignments.

they are excellent performers with one exception.. FS is to low to excel in a car cabin.. if they would use a FS around 26 to 28 efficiency gans would be substantial and alignments would be more along the lines of you normal designs we use..

Now one thing i can say is they are very transparaent.. excellent sounding subs with a F3 of 22hz.. the spiders are extremely linear but soft so ported enclosures are much harder to design but the benefits are loss of efficiency for wider bandwidth and lowered group delay which plauges most ported alignments..

when i design a woofer i try to get good efficiency within the usable bandwidth keep mass low as possible and keep power compression and inductance low as possible. that much easier said than done.. you can have all those factors perfect and spider geometry can kill the speaker..

all in all if you where to use it with a PR in 1.5 tuned around 28 its truly a nice woofer.. sealed 1.25 to 1.5 is plenty..

xbl^2 subs never have stiff sustensions beause it is unnecessary. The motor's BL drops off sharply once you exceed xmax. All you need is a suspension capable of about 6mm more excursion than the xmax value and then the spider can be as soft as you'd like for all intents and purposes. The BL drops off so fast you'll smoke the coil before you hit suspension limits. Basically the woofers are effecient up until the point where they woudl be over-driven ,then they become horribly ineffecient and are hard if not nearly impossible to break mechancially (you'd have to REALLY be trying). More than rated power is really of no use and if that's your main question. They will often hit xmax limits with less than rated power, unlike most car audio drivers that are built so stiff you need at LEAST RMS to get actual excursion out of them. IMO, stick with a regular idiot proof car audio sub if "how many watts can it take before exploding" is your main criteria.. As papermaker already said they do tend to be pretty bottom heavy in a car and will be very transparent due to the excellent motor design.

Papermakers box suggestions were pretty much right on as well. I personally woudn't ever port them though. You'd need a pretty big port considering the box size, probably an external aero or a passive radiator to make it work. They also turn into boom boxes pretty quick in a ported enclosure. IMO 1.25 cubes sealed, maybe some poly if you need it woudl still play pretty low, blend well and sound phenomenal.

In general terms the exodus audio subs are easily among the best subs on the market for actually playing music. They aren't indestructible and you have to know how to use them properly, but if accurate playback with high SPL over a large bandwidth is your goal then they excel. XBL^2 with a quiet suspension, and shorting rings is pretty much a impossible combo to beat. TC sounds upper end would one of the few things at that level and they cost ALOT more in some cases, plus the build quality is kinda shady anymore. The tempest and the maelstrom is still undermotored, IMO, that'd be my only issue.

edit:1.5 with 1000 watts is just at xmax at 20hz if you really want to use all it's throw.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Optimus_Prime

10+ year member
Optimus_Prime
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from