seperating a fiberglass spare tire well

98greenlude
10+ year member

im working on a fiberglassing my spare tire well and was wondering just how to seperate it. im putting 2 dvc 12s in it. i know seperating the enclosure is the best way to build a sealed box so i dont wanna make a box that sounds bad if im putting this much time into it.

i was thinking that once the fiberglassing of the enclosure itself is done stick a peice of mdf in there and screw and fiberglass it down. the baffel is goning to be pretty elaborate too so if there is any other ways to seperate the enclosure might make it easier for me.

thanks

Originally posted by 98greenlude im working on a fiberglassing my spare tire well and was wondering just how to seperate it. im putting 2 dvc 12s in it. i know seperating the enclosure is the best way to build a sealed box so i dont wanna make a box that sounds bad if im putting this much time into it.

i was thinking that once the fiberglassing of the enclosure itself is done stick a peice of mdf in there and screw and fiberglass it down. the baffel is goning to be pretty elaborate too so if there is any other ways to seperate the enclosure might make it easier for me.

thanks
Well.. Hmm... are you gonna have a wood top? and just glass in the wheel hole?

For normal spare tire well boxes (that I've seen anyway) you have a wood frame, that's what the top screws down to..

I'd suggest this.. Since you are planning on putting a wood top on it (if you are) I'd say put a piece of wood in the middle that is level with the top of the frame, so the lid will sit tight on it.. Make the divider wide enough to pretty much fill in the whole spanse of the tire size.. Then, while you are glassing the rest, just glass that wood right in.. You will be pretty much making 2 boxes at once, and that devider isn't going any place once it's glassed in..

You know you should make one layer for the general shape, then pull it out of the car and layer it up, right? I'd sugget the one layer, then line up the divider and put the fleece stuff (for better bonding to wood)on the seams of the divider, let that set a bit.. then you can pull it out and glass it up well with no worries..

when you put the top on, you may want to run a few strips of glass/tape on the seams at the Top-Divider point, just to be safe..

Good luck with that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Not sure I've seen/heard of a divided wheel well box. should be nice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I did it for 10's in a well.......Savant hit it pretty good. You just glass a peice of mdf that is cut to a rough size in as the divider....you should be doing at lest 2 or 3 layers before you remove it (it is too flimsy prior to that and you risk loosing shape or damaging it) there is no reason whatsoever to use fleece, it does not even come close to the strength of the mesh matting, it builds thickness for curves and such, but that has no application in your project....dependant on the subs expect to be upwards of 8 layers before your done (i did 20+ for my two 10w7's) but those are w7's.....unless your running xxx's or mabey bramha's, 8-12 will be more than strong enough (assuming your usuing stanard 2oz-3oz mesh). Good luck!

thanks guys i am planing on pulling it out once ive set 3 layers of glass.

i didnt quite understand if u wanted me to glass the seperator in before i finish all the layers in the well or put it in once ive applyed 8-12 layers. they are pheniox gold titaniums and will be recieving ~500wrms per sub i think 10 lyaers should be more then enough.

does anyone know of any descriptive websites that i might be able to see how the seperator peice is done?

thanks for the help guys and ill be sure to take some pics and post um

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.