Sensitivity db

Participant count
  • Participant list
what type of speaker?...IMO, 85+ is good on a sub, since I usually run 10x the power to it than my tweeters...90+ is good for a mid/highs.

---------- Post added at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

ps, it is not a tell all on the quality of the driver though.

On a DLS mid range. Surprising to me that its only 89 on the uspi which is part if their "ultimate series"

I was favoring that speaker due to all the reviews I've read and research done. What is normal for upper end

speaker like that which sells for around 4? I'm assuming 93-95 DB.

Wish I could get two if you to recommend the same product, yet I understand how you get a product

you like and over the years develop brand loyalty. Even if you know in a honest moment another speaker

is better, most would never admit it. People in marketing bank on this trait

All things being equal (are they ever? lol), one can generally expect to get as loud using a 90dB sensitivity speaker on 100W as on a 87dB sensitivity speaker on 200W...but like quackhead noted, sensitivity is not a tell all on the quality of the driver: it is just one parameter.

Even beyond the driver, itself, one must take into account the quality of the installation, tuning of an enclosure, proper deadening, and etc, ad nausem.

On a DLS mid range. Surprising to me that its only 89 on the uspi which is part if their "ultimate series"
I was favoring that speaker due to all the reviews I've read and research done. What is normal for upper end

speaker like that which sells for around 4? I'm assuming 93-95 DB.

Wish I could get two if you to recommend the same product, yet I understand how you get a product

you like and over the years develop brand loyalty. Even if you know in a honest moment another speaker

is better, most would never admit it. People in marketing bank on this trait
lol..i know what you mean. what amp will you be using?..active or passive crossovers?

I have not heard the DLS, personally, but 89 is not bad...usually you will see 90-93 db sens. on mid/highs. I would be more concerned with power handling, final impedance and midbass cone and tweeter dome composition to guesstimate the type of sound to expect.

Like it was mentioned

Sensitivity does not equal better sound quality, you will be surprised by many great sounding speakers are in the 86-88 db, and usually those are expensive and handle over 125 watts RMS each, there are some unusual cases like high end Hertz, and mid range Focals with high spl and great SQ, in the case of Focals they handle 80 watts each and the Hertz up to 150 watts each, although the specs on the Hertz seem impressive at 92-93 db spl, they need the power of over 125 watts to sound better. In any case to drive any high end speakers or in the $400 range and up I am sure most will agree that 100 clean RMS watts minimum will be needed to get the best sound from them. Good expensive speakers in most cases need powerful expensive amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.