Self splanitory carpet tutorial

Participant count
  • Participant list

joeldirt
10+ year member

Integrity
I did this back in spetember of last year, but I wanted to compare with BJ Fish's way.

BJ Fish just got done posting one with a rabbet bit technique.... The groove he is making is not called a rabbet though… It would more often be referred to as a quirk, or a ¼” dado following the perimeter of the exterior of the sides of the enclosure. I have a method that can substitute the rabbet bit and still give it the same look... (For people who don't have a router with rabbet bit) It would act as a substitute to BJ Fish's method... Though I think BJ’s way would be more efficient, and most likely should be done first, this option gives you the ability to replace or upgrade faces of the enclosure in the future without having to strip off the old finish. Doesn’t allow him to interchange different face panels like mine can... Once his side wall is in place he rabbets the grooves to stuff the carpet into. This will alleviate the need for a mounting flange. But my way allows me to be able to change the face of my box at any time to another color with out having to strip the original finish off some how... I'll just let the pictures do the talking... to keep it short and sweet. And by the way... by doing it this way you gain aproximately 20 to 30 decibals! ! !

310sglassed0514is.jpg
[/img]

310sglassed0542zt.jpg
[/img]

310sglassed0560zh.jpg
[/img]

310sglassed0573us.jpg
[/img]

310sglassed0583zw.jpg

310sglassed0593ob.jpg

310sglassed0609pa.jpg

310sglassed0641ke.jpg

310sglassed0656ug.jpg

310sglassed0611zp.jpg

mmm.

i dont like that very much. its a lot more work than is nessicary. ill do it my way with a razor and a brain //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

i can usually get them looking quite perfect as long as ive got a brand new razor handy.

mmm.
i dont like that very much. its a lot more work than is nessicary. ill do it my way with a razor and a brain //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

i can usually get them looking quite perfect as long as ive got a brand new razor handy.

yeah but thats just the reason why I posted the last pic.. to help describe what I meant by being able to replace the face... THe face can be mounted in from the inside with , mechanical fastners with a foam gasket... It just is another option to have. I just got done doing one for an F-150 extended cab for two 10's sealed asnd did it all with the old fashioned razor blade... Its not any more easy or difficult, just the typical plane Jane way of doing it I guess... I like working against the grain and doing other things.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

joeldirt

10+ year member
Integrity
joeldirt
Eureka, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date