Sealing a box??

Kinalyx
10+ year member

Im going to be making a pretty thin box for my 12" IDMAX, & mount it inverted. The problem is, no matter what, i wont be able to get sealant on 1 side of the box (front or back) as i wont be able to get a caulking gun into the box to get to the edges.

If i do all but the baffle, then use lots of sealant around the edges, will it seal it well enough??

Im thinknig about also using some liquid spray plastic. Someone used it on kick panels b4 & it sealed them up REALLY well. Just spray it in, & roll it around until all areas r sealed.

Any suggestions???

Originally posted by Kinalyx Im going to be making a pretty thin box for my 12" IDMAX, & mount it inverted. The problem is, no matter what, i wont be able to get sealant on 1 side of the box (front or back) as i wont be able to get a caulking gun into the box to get to the edges.

If i do all but the baffle, then use lots of sealant around the edges, will it seal it well enough??

Im thinknig about also using some liquid spray plastic. Someone used it on kick panels b4 & it sealed them up REALLY well. Just spray it in, & roll it around until all areas r sealed.

Any suggestions???
Can you reach all the corners with your hands? Just put some caulk on your fingers and spread it that way.. you don't have to have the gun in there to apply caulk.. If you can't reach all the edges with your hands.. hmm.. pretty odd box then, but hey.. if it works //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

couple different options, stick a small flexable tube on the end of your gun if you really want to use the gun....put the caulk on your fingers, or fiberglass the seems (this is a really good way to seal anyways).

Originally posted by Savant Can you reach all the corners with your hands? Just put some caulk on your fingers and spread it that way.. you don't have to have the gun in there to apply caulk.. If you can't reach all the edges with your hands.. hmm.. pretty odd box then, but hey.. if it works //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
I alway like to finger the box too.

Ok, this is no joke, ok?

when using your fingers to apply silicone, apply loads of saliva on the finger to use prior to handling it. Hey, I'm serious!!! Really, I am... water doesn't work, saliva does..i saw window panel experts do it, and hey, they use silicone all day long, so they know what they're doing...

Originally posted by paikiah Ok, this is no joke, ok?

when using your fingers to apply silicone, apply loads of saliva on the finger to use prior to handling it. Hey, I'm serious!!! Really, I am... water doesn't work, saliva does..i saw window panel experts do it, and hey, they use silicone all day long, so they know what they're doing...
As badly as I want to use this for fun //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I have to agree.. I was caulking some wire lastnight and paikiah mentioned the spit thing to shape it if needed.. Not only was it caulk, it was tub and tile adhesive caulk (kinda gluish too).. the spit was GREAT.. little dabs kept the caulk from sticking to my fingers (must the the interaction of the chems in liquid silicone or something, it was slippery to the touch).. when I didn't have any spit on my fingers the adhesive caulk was .. well.. sticking //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

alright...finally someone believes me...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

It worked for me, so that's why I wanted to share...

Oh, another word of advice for dumba$$es... don't **** on your fingers AFTER touching the sealant...doh~:p

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.