Sanding mdf

TDot
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Bronx
Always hearing about how brittle mdf is, is it ok to sand the side of an mdf board?...not the surface face. one of the sides is preventing the top from going on with a smooth flush mounting by about 3mm towards the end of the side. What type of sander should I get that will get it done the gaskets without any chance of damaging it...must be able to pick it up at Home Depot. Thanks.

Yeah I've done that with a hand held belt sander. Just be careful when doing it cause if its not straight or at an angle it won't fit right. Or you can't "add" to it if you take to much off.

60-80grit will work.

And if you do take off too much you can mix sawdust and glue for that part, so it will fill the gap when putting the top on. So YES you can put it back on....

Whatever you end up doing, I would do it BY HAND, and take your time... I've witnessed ppl gouging & accidentally removing chunks of mdf trying this with powered sanders (I used to work 4 a stereo shop) I h8 MDF, I prefer Birch - It's REAL wood, and it's lighter ;-)

60-80grit will work.
And if you do take off too much you can mix sawdust and glue for that part, so it will fill the gap when putting the top on. So YES you can put it back on....
I forgot about this, so yes you can but I don't. I shows that you f'ed it up.

after sanding, to help stengthen up the ends of MDF, put some fiberglas resin on it. it will **** into the grain and will help keep it from chippin whenever the enclosure is moved.

also a good idea to knock down any sharp corners. paint doesnt hold up too good on sharp corners and just taking a piece of sandpaper over em helps out a lot.

its also a very good idea to wear a dust mask when sanding MDF. lungs dont like the dust.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.