Running power wire next to fuel line/gas tank

Participant count
  • Participant list

hatedonmostly
5,000+ posts

throwin' hunnits, hunnits
Detroit, MI
Alright, this may be a stupid question, but is it a problem to run amp/battery power wires next to a fuel line and past the gas tank? Something tells me it's wrong, but on the other hand, if I'm fused properly I don't see what the issue would be...

And yes, I am running the wires under my truck because my batteries are in the bed...

The only issue I see with that is if the wire wound up grounding out on the frame. It doesn't matter if it's fused or not, it's going to spark. But I would think as long as the ends of the wire aren't close to the gas tank you would be fine.

I had to do it in my Honda Pilot too. I fused both sides of the power wire (from the battery bank and from the main battery) just in case. A quick spark shouldn't be an issue unless your tank is leaking... I'd be more worried about molten copper

I was kidding bro...I don't think it's an issue...my amp power wires are also run along the frame rail and enter the cab of my truck from an unused factory grommet in the floor...I just made sure the wires were encased in some of that ribbed plastic cable protector shit, wrapped with some electrical tape and zip tied to the frame...been that way for over a year and absolutely no issues...and I run on a lot of dirt roads and really shitty winter weather...I actually just inspected all my exterior wiring the other day...still perfect!

if you do it right, it's fine. dont be a pussy.
joo mad bruh?

I had to do it in my Honda Pilot too. I fused both sides of the power wire (from the battery bank and from the main battery) just in case. A quick spark shouldn't be an issue unless your tank is leaking... I'd be more worried about molten copper
I kinda figured that most guys who get serious and do multiple runs have to run wire under the car and running the wire past the gas tank sometimes is just something that is unavoidable.

I was kidding bro...I don't think it's an issue...my amp power wires are also run along the frame rail and enter the cab of my truck from an unused factory grommet in the floor...I just made sure the wires were encased in some of that ribbed plastic cable protector shit, wrapped with some electrical tape and zip tied to the frame...been that way for over a year and absolutely no issues...and I run on a lot of dirt roads and really shitty winter weather...I actually just inspected all my exterior wiring the other day...still perfect!
That's the plan. Thanks. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.