Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D cutting out after 5 minutes of playing

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bburchett1

I have a Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D running 2 12" Rockford Fosgate HX2's (dual 4 ohm voice coils) @ 1 ohm. The amp starts cutting in and out at high volume after about 5 minutes of playing. I have a second battery in the trunk and the amp is installed in a cooling rack I built for it. It is all hooked up using 4 gauge wire.

Any ideas of where to start trouble shooting?

My volt meter shows 14.2 volts at the amp with the car running.

I have a Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D running 2 12" Rockford Fosgate HX2's (dual 4 ohm voice coils) @ 1 ohm. The amp starts cutting in and out at high volume after about 5 minutes of playing. I have a second battery in the trunk and the amp is installed in a cooling rack I built for it. It is all hooked up using 4 gauge wire.
Any ideas of where to start trouble shooting?

My volt meter shows 14.2 volts at the amp with the car running.
whats gain at?

What is the voltage at the power terminals when the amp cuts off?
I will check in the morning. I have a theory... Is it possible that since I used oversized 4 gauge for the power wire and cheap a$$ undersized 4 gauge for the ground that could be the problem? I ordered all new oversized 1/0 power and ground wire from skyhigh tonight so maybe that will help?

All my connections are tight. If you look at this picture you can see where my gain is set... Just above 3. Is starts to clip at around 4 so I backed it down. It is the most sensitive gain I've worked with before.
https://ibb.co/iUEsqd
sounds low enough, do u have bass boost on either amp or hu? do u have sub volume on hu high?

Flat eq curve on hu. No loudness turned on or bass boost on hu. Sub volume set to normal on hu.
if ground is good sounds like bad amp., i guess something on sub could be messing up.. only way to test is swap amp or sub, see if it still does it..

That amp shouldn't be overheating although the primes run a little warmer than the punch or power series due to the lack of a heatsink.

You need to measure the voltage at the amp when its having issues. That along with checking your conmections specifically the ground are the first 2 things you need to troubleshoot. Is the ground securely attached to clean metal free of paint?

That amp shouldn't be overheating although the primes run a little warmer than the punch or power series due to the lack of a heatsink.
You need to measure the voltage at the amp when its having issues. That along with checking your conmections specifically the ground are the first 2 things you need to troubleshoot. Is the ground securely attached to clean metal free of paint?
I did some double checking of all my power connections all the way to the battery under the hood and quess what I found, I had a loose connection at the in line fuse under the hood. When I would draw heavy power at my amp, the voltage intermittently would drop to 11 volts for long enough to make the amp cut out. Problem solved. Thank you all for the help

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.