Resin and Hardener

I have been reading a lot lately to learn how to do fiberglass custom installation but I still have one question. All the websites I have visited say that you are supposed to mix the fiberglass/resin and the hardener together so it dries. Now I have been reading other websites of people who have built there fiberglass installation and they say the only material used is resin/fiberglass with no mentioning of hardener. Does this mean hardener is not needed, it just speeds the process, or is it needed but they just buy it already mixed together? Someone please explain. Thanks. later

You buy the hardener seperate. You can not buy it mixed. it cause the process. how much you add into the resin will detemine how fast it dries.

Originally posted by I8AYellowCrayon I have been reading a lot lately to learn how to do fiberglass custom installation but I still have one question. All the websites I have visited say that you are supposed to mix the fiberglass/resin and the hardener together so it dries. Now I have been reading other websites of people who have built there fiberglass installation and they say the only material used is resin/fiberglass with no mentioning of hardener. Does this mean hardener is not needed, it just speeds the process, or is it needed but they just buy it already mixed together? Someone please explain. Thanks. later
no..the term "fiberglass" generally assumes the two part resin and hardener mixture. Any type of glue needs to parts, most glue is the glue + air to harden, fiberglass does not require air, intead the second component is the hardener, you need both, always, most people just dont mention it.

Originally posted by evo2k3 no..the term "fiberglass" generally assumes the two part resin and hardener mixture. Any type of glue needs to parts, most glue is the glue + air to harden, fiberglass does not require air, intead the second component is the hardener, you need both, always, most people just dont mention it.

Don't forget the heat from the chemical reaction. Without the heat the resin won't cure. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

I8AYellowCrayon

I8AYellowCrayon
Baltimore, MD
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
MXJMR