Required installation materials for a second amp install with sub?

xenofactor07
10+ year member

Hey guys let me better explain myself.

I have a 4 channel amp powering the front and rear speakers currently. It sounds great but I need more bass. As a result, I'm contemplating buying a sub and a second amp (2 channel, will bridge).

My question is, what new materials will I need to power both amps? I think I'll need a power distribution block, but I have no idea how these work... Could someone please explain? The power wire I have running from the battery to the 4 channel amp is 8 guage... But I highly doubt that will be able to hold current for two amps. I'll also need a second set of RCA cables to connect to the head unit and to the new amp. As well as speaker wire from the amp to the sub. What guage speaker wire is best for subs?

Am I missing anything? Thanks for reading.

Distro block is simple, one or more wire goes in of a certain size, and multiple come out of a certain size. Voltage is provided by input wire(s), and shared by all output wires. It's nothing more than a junction point. And I see it advertised all the time as different things, but there are no differences between a power and ground distro in terms of electricity. There might be some cosmetic differences, and some power ones are fused, but other than that, if you find a ground distro that suits your needs and you can't find a power distro, you can use it. As long as it isn't an actual grounding block, which would have exposed bare metal.

The power wire you use will depend on the demand of your amp. 8ga will not suffice, no matter which amp you use though. You will need to re-run wire, 4ga at a minimum, but just get 1/0ga if you ever plan on upgrading. And speaker wire also depends on current running across it, but with low to moderate power, 10-12ga will be fine.

Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding grounding the second amp, just find another place in the car to ground out? Rather than buying two distribution blocks... one for splitting the hot wires, and one for splitting the two ground wires into one so it can then be grounded.

EDIT: Also, where do you mount the distribution block? Near the amps? In that case I'll need a long 0-2AWG cable.

You know honestly I couldn't tell you.. It was done by a professional.

What about inline fuses? Should I have just a 100A fuse on the main power wire near the battery? Or should I also have inline fuses when the power is split after the distribution block?

Go to bcae1 and read section 14 Fuses. You will need a fused distribution block. And any time you go from a larger ga to a smaller ga wire you must fuse for the smaller wire as the smaller wire cannot handle the amperage the larger does.

You can also run a dedicated 4ga line for the sub amp as well.Might be just as easy, and leave the 8ga alone for your mids and highs amp..just another option

Quackhead, I'm going with a 2 channel amp bridged because the sub I'm getting has an impedance rating of 4 ohms.. So, a 2 channel amp will handle that load better than a class D amp that is better for 2 or 1 ohm(s). The amp I'm planning on purchasing is the Boston Acoustics GTA-802. It will look great right next to its bigger brother, the Boston Acoustics GTA-704.

audiobaun, this option would be best because I would only have to buy a second amp wiring kit. But how exactly do you wire two power wires to the same battery? Is that even possible?

Quackhead, I'm going with a 2 channel amp bridged because the sub I'm getting has an impedance rating of 4 ohms.. So, a 2 channel amp will handle that load better than a class D amp that is better for 2 or 1 ohm(s). The amp I'm planning on purchasing is the Boston Acoustics GTA-802. It will look great right next to its bigger brother, the Boston Acoustics GTA-704.
audiobaun, this option would be best because I would only have to buy a second amp wiring kit. But how exactly do you wire two power wires to the same battery? Is that even possible?
Ring terminals are an easy way to add wiringhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/XScorpion-4-Gauge-Gold-Pro-Style-Ring-Terminal-RT4G-/200480467433?pt=US_Car_Audio_Video_Connectors_Terminals&hash=item2ead9129e9

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

Ring terminal

XScorpion 4 Gauge Gold Pro Style Ring Terminal RT4G | eBay

So if I went this route, I could theoretically get another 8AWG wiring kit just for the new amp right? The new amp will be 160W RMS, 30A load.. That would be just fine running off of 8AWG correct?

Also, it appears to me that this ring terminal connects on the terminal of the battery and acts as an extension type of device? So with this you'd be able to connect two amplifier power cables to the same positive terminal on a battery?

You can pick a pair up at your local Auto store for like $5 if you dont want to wait on ordering a pair off line,Home Depot/lowes in electrical section, or welding section

Right.. but does what I say above hold true? I can get an 8AWG wiring kit and a ring terminal and would be set on wiring a second amp.. Rather than buying a distribution block, fuses, extra power wire, blah blah blah. If so, this ring terminal will save my budget tremendously.

So if I went this route, I could theoretically get another 8AWG wiring kit just for the new amp right? The new amp will be 160W RMS, 30A load.. That would be just fine running off of 8AWG correct?
Also, it appears to me that this ring terminal connects on the terminal of the battery and acts as an extension type of device? So with this you'd be able to connect two amplifier power cables to the same positive terminal on a battery?
For that amount of power/30amps,8ga would/should be suitable.

You can add to the terminal on the battery without any issues..It is still necessary to add an inline fuse to protect the wiring from future/possible jacket melting.Cheaply bought as well

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.