Replacement for Focal P165V30 Components

Participant count
  • Participant list

mechatron

Hi Guys,

I was after your input and expertise. I currently have the following setup in my car (large sedan):

Head unit: Alpine ICS-X8

Processor: Arc Audio PS8

Speaker Amplifier: Mosconi AS200.4 (4x 200W rms @ 4 Ohms / 320W rms @ 2 Ohms)

Sub Amplifier: Alpine PDX-M12 (1200W rms @ 4Ohms / 1200W rms @ 2 Ohms)

Front Speakers: P165V30 run actively (i.e. no crossovers)

Subs: Two 27KX subs in a custom marine ply enclosure (approx 80L)

Front Doors and Boot deadened with Focal BAM

Now my whole setup does sound very good, but I'm left wondering if the P165V30 components are somewhat letting my front stage down. I'm really after a set of components with smoother tweeters, has more midbass kick, and can play loud while still remaining accurate.

Are there any members on here that have replaced their P165V30s with something better?

I'm looking at the following 3 sets of components and I'm really confused on what to get. I also want to make sure that my next speaker choice is a huge improvement. I also want to stay active if possible...however its not a necessity since my Mosconi amp should basically be able to power anything. Anyway, I have narrowed down my choices to the following:

- Focal KRX2

- Arc Audio Black 6.2

Black 6.2*| Arc Audio

- Crescendo Opus 9 2-way

Audio Plus Online | Business With Passion brand

What are people's thoughts? I kept thinking I'll go the KRX2 components, but I just want to make sure that the KRX2s are a huge improvement over the P165V30s

Note: I did listen to the KRX2 speakers today, however they were still quite stiff and they were run directly off a head unit...so the KRX2s were definitely not run to their full potential for this listening test.

Thanks guys

I would first look into more acoustic treatments for the doors and some additional tuning on the PS8. Sometimes attenuating mid and high frequencies can bring out the midbass that was there all along. Focal BAM looks like a fine product, but there are additional treatments that can work extremely well, such as absorption inside the door cavity and adding a heavy barrier to block sound. I'll get back to this thread later for more information.

I would first look into more acoustic treatments for the doors and some additional tuning on the PS8. Sometimes attenuating mid and high frequencies can bring out the midbass that was there all along. Focal BAM looks like a fine product, but there are additional treatments that can work extremely well, such as absorption inside the door cavity and adding a heavy barrier to block sound. I'll get back to this thread later for more information.
Thank you for your reply Trumpet. Can you please elaborate more on these additional treatments? Thanks heaps

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.