repairing rubber surround

des343
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Got some slits in my surround nothing bad just slits what can Ido to repair these everything I've done so far just rips back open id like to get them fixed before they get worse

Thanks

Also is it possible to have an XFL get a new surround put on in the future?

I've used rtv silicone and it worked nice.
Where would I find that just a general hardwear store and must I do both sides front and back to have itt work properly it needs to be able to withstand thefull flex of the sub

Where would I find that just a general hardwear store and must I do both sides front and back to have itt work properly it needs to be able to withstand thefull flex of the sub
You can buy it at Autozone or any other parts house. And it comes in black, which would be a close match to the color of the foam. Before you repair it, clean the foam with some sort of solvent. Isopropyl or denatured alcohol should do it and the former is in most people's medicine cabinet anyway.

Spread a thin layer of the silicone over the crack(s) on both sides of the surround, making sure that it gets all the way into the crack but also making sure to leave a thin layer of it spread over the surround about 1/4 to 3/8" past the edges of the crack(s).

Let it dry for at least 8 hours before using the sub and you should have a long lasing repair.... unless the foam has deteriorated, in which case it will just crack somewhere else. ;-)

EDIT: Just saw the thread title again and realized you said rubber surround. Sorry about the foam comments... I'm getting old.

Last edited by a moderator:
for real small repairs i used super glue
i thought about this as they are very razor blade thin slits but im worried about it causing further harm?

and thanks guys i will look around i will also say i have not tried BOTH sides yet i wasnt sure if i had to or not so that may be an issue im having im sure too.

i just want to quit messing with it and get it right as it is kind of (not too bad) but making it a little hideous at least for my likeing i like crispy new looking things lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.