Removing spare tire for extra room?

jrdnhsnbrg
10+ year member

Pimped my grandma's ride
How many of you took out the spare tire of your car for extra room? With my system installed I can't even get to the spare tire, it's completely covered by my monster of a box. Would it make sense to just completely remove the spare and try to hide my spare battery under there? I figured as soon as I remove it I'll get a flat tire, that's just my luck, even though taking out the spare would involve removing my simple amp rack and box, which itself is a PITA.

You just admitted you can't get to your spare tire as it is, so if you get a flat tire right now, you're screwed.

I took the spare out of my hyundai and just put it behind the drivers seat, then I threw my extra battery in the well. Worked great except the battery was cracked and started leaking (not a common problem though).

How many of you took out the spare tire of your car for extra room? With my system installed I can't even get to the spare tire, it's completely covered by my monster of a box. Would it make sense to just completely remove the spare and try to hide my spare battery under there? I figured as soon as I remove it I'll get a flat tire, that's just my luck, even though taking out the spare would involve removing my simple amp rack and box, which itself is a PITA.
I removed mine and built a flat floor from 1/2" birch and made brackets ...now i have 2 g27 dekas and a **** ton of wire in there makes for a super clean install

You just admitted you can't get to your spare tire as it is, so if you get a flat tire right now, you're screwed.
I took the spare out of my hyundai and just put it behind the drivers seat, then I threw my extra battery in the well. Worked great except the battery was cracked and started leaking (not a common problem though).
Well, I can get to it, I just have to take out my amp, sub, and box in order to.

I removed mine and built a flat floor from 1/2" birch and made brackets ...now i have 2 g27 dekas and a **** ton of wire in there makes for a super clean install
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. It would look clean as hell. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. It would look clean as hell. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Yup i just charge whole batt bank off the front batt ..easy breezy..no hiding 4 runs of 1/0 and fuse holders and bs

Yup i just charge whole batt bank off the front batt ..easy breezy..no hiding 4 runs of 1/0 and fuse holders and bs
I bet I could probably hide 5 D680's under there... Not saying I'm going to. I'd sell my D680 then get a bigger battery.

I would just place the spare in the back seat but I regularly have people (yes, living people, not bodies) and stuff back there, due to the lack of space in my trunk. Maybe I just say screw it and not be the guy giving people rides everywhere.

I was just thinking about doing this. I already have two batts in the trunk, but if I take that spare out I could get another 4 in there at least. xD

I haven't had the spare in there since I put the box in anyway.

It would be clean! Do it! I keep a tire patch kit in my car, and one of those 12v inflators for when I get a flat. Just used both yesterday actually lol, 10 minutes and I was back on the road. Just hope like hell you never get any sidewall damage. ohh and keep the jack just in case

In my car the drivers seat is electric and the gear and is attached to the motor is stripped out so it's stuck all the way back (no problem for me, I'm 6'6") but nobody likes to sit back there. I think what I'll do is just keep the spare tire and jack behind my seat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.