Removing Rivets that hold car speakers in placE?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Connecticut

Hey guys what's up? I recently blew my factory speakers in my 2002 VW Golf so I went out and purchased some new speakers to install myself. I had no trouble taking off the door panel, my problem came when it was time to remove the speaker.

There are metal Rivet's holding it in place, now my question is how would I go about to take these rivets out so I can install my new speakers? I've read you drill them out, how exactly do you go about to do that. I tried to drill it out but had no luck and i though i should stop and ask for help before I damage my car.

PLEASE HELP ME!!! Thank A LOT!!!

the rivet should have a domed side and a concave/flared side.

find a drill bit about the size of the rivet

center the drill bit on the concave side of the rivet

drill SLOWLY until the top of the rivet is off.

if it doesn't come out, use a screwdriver or something to pop it out.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif OMG they put the OEM speakers in with rivets?? That is the most asinine thing I've ever heard. It's like they're trying to tell you that you will NOT upgrade the audio system in that car.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif OMG they put the OEM speakers in with rivets?? That is the most asinine thing I've ever heard. It's like they're trying to tell you that you will NOT upgrade the audio system in that car.
Yep, rivets. And that's exactly what VW is telling us... since the factory radio is tied in to the VAG-com onboard diagnostics system and some service centers won't even plug their 5150 scanner into your VW if you have an aftermarket radio. There are HU wiring harnesses available that are 5150 safe, though. It just takes a bit of extra work to get a real audio system put in a veedub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.