Remote Wire?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rosco
10+ year member

NY
Alright, sometimes my amp seems to switch on and off every so often. The power and ground cables to the amp are fine. Remote wire is fine hooked up and all. I have noticed that when the amp is occasionally off, there is absolutely no power going to it. Would this problem be with my Remote wire? or the Head Unit?

Rosco

All I can say is to double and triple check all connections. Make sure everything is solid, if you used wire connectors/terminals inspect them closely, And make sure you have a good solid paint/rust free ground.

Could the amp be over heating? Check the gains and make sure they are not set above 3/4. (I personally don't like going over 1/2.)

ACtually...at one point I thought it was the amp overheating....But after starting my car a couple times the amp wouldn't even turn on. And i have checked every wire and connection about 20 times...lol. So that's why I'm kinda thinking that it has something to do with the remote wire, or the head unit.

Rosco

Well i have...but the only problem is...I can't really tell when it's going to do it. It just seems to happen sometimes.

You could try connecting the remote line from the amp to the battery. Use a different wire. If it works fine like this then you found your problem. The only this is you'll have to remember to manually turn it on and off.

What do you mean by "absolutely no power going to it"? Are you judging by the indicator light, or have you actually measured signals with a voltmeter?

Get a DVM and measure DC Volts right at the amp's terminals. From the negative terminal to positive you should have 12-14v and from negative terminal to remote you should have the same thing. If not, you need to track down the reason.

Don't assume that a wire is always good.. a poor crimp connection on a terminal or lug can look fine and be very decieving.

Good luck.

Yeah, I found out what it was. It was the head unit. It's about 5 yrs old, and the remote seems to be going in it. Found it out by hooking the remote on the amp up to the battery. Right now i can't afford another deck, so I'm gonna put in a switch so i can turn the amp on and off manually.

get a relay. anyone running more than 1 amp could benifit from that.

hook it up so your decks remote turn on the relay and that should ease your troubles.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.