Release date on Alpine CDA-9887

gimme one that plays dvd audio and has an optical output and looks like the H701 and ill take it.

otherwise. no thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

You guys can reserve one at Cfield if you're ready to buy it ya know.. Then when it comes in, it's shipped and billed to you.

I've got my system in my mind sofar:

9887 running active.. ipod and bluetooth setup. Subie single din pocket filling in the space in the dash.

4-channel upfront driving Seas Neo tweets, probably Seas RNX mids.. CA or ER version probably.. Though the Peerless Exclusive 7 is appealing as well.. Mids all subject to change.

Single channel class-D driving a Duffman-Audio sub box with a decent 1cf capable SQ oriented 10" sub with decent output in the wheel well.

Raamatt throughout at least the doors and hatch first, though if I have to get into the floorboard a bit for the install, might as well do the raamatt there while I'm there.

... gotta sell off some stuff to get me off the block.. Any fans of Taylor-made titanium drivers in here? Supersteel irons, Ibanez roadstar red strat body with Ibanez floyd rose and gibson paf hbucker, w/ hardshell case and locking shoulder strap. sell sell sell. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I cant wait to hear the reviews. I would like something better then the 2 line display. What I want is someone to compare it to my 9835. Only changes I see is the ipod connector and the 7-band eq, and well and the 24 bit d/a converter. The imprint looks to be an expensive upgrade. They should scrap the imprint and bump up the eq to a 16 band.

It's funny how this deck is already a forum boner before it's even been released. Funny thing is it doesn't really offer anything NEW or anything above and beyond what other mfgs are offering. Other than the imprint that is. In fact, this is the deck Alpine should have been offering 2 years ago instead of the crap they released.

I think it's a combination of things... iPod control, Active x-overs, 24bit burr-browns.. latest and greatest without the disadvantage of everyone knowing about a whining issue with grounds and fuses, etc. That scares me away from the 880 though it's supposedly superb SQ.. and the 9887 isn't $600 like the CD7100's.. The guys buying this type of SQ unit may not give a flip about nav stuff on a skinny 1-din head unit.

A SQ shootout between the 9887 and 7100 would be interesting though.. maybe the 880 also for giggles. From reading other reviews, I'm relatively convinced there's a marginal downgrade in SQ to the 775 clarion though, otherwise, I'd be all over that unit.. INexpensive.. Might have been worth another $75 if they'd used burr-browns possibly and better components?

I tell ya the reeeeal shootout will be how the 9887 SQ stacks up against the 9255 or F1 or H701.

I tell ya the reeeeal shootout will be how the 9887 SQ stacks up against the 9255 or F1 or H701.
Have you been an Alpine fan your whole life?? Personally I doubt the 9887 would stack up at all to the other decks you listed. It may be the latest offering from Alpine but it is what it is. It's $400 head unit with internal processing. Comparing that to the Alpine F1, the Clarion 9255 or comparing it to the processing power of the 701 is just silly. I'm a Pioneer guy and I know for a fact it wouldn't touch the P9 combo. I know these other units are much more expensive but you get what you pay for.

Actually no.. The one alpine I've owned crapped out in 1 1/2 years so actually I'm quite jumpy about buying another.

Yes, I'm sure the likes of the F1 or P9 or 9255 should rightly beat the crap out of the 9887.. I wouldn't expect it to be very close.. I'm just wondering if it gets closer for the cash than the others in it's pricepoint?.. Does it "approach" the big leagues? or is it still just the same mid-league burr-brown head unit? I should have stated it less Alpine-Fanboy-ish. sorry. I totally agree with you.. You get what you pay for.. Separate power supply or separate processing on higher quality dacs, op amps, etc.. I wouldn't expect a $400 head unit to be very close.. It'd just be interesting.

No I promise I wouldn't expect it to be able to actually hang with those, but all the hype around it, it should be closer than it's only other pricepoint competitors.. the 880 and 7100.

Also, I'm as much for a Pioneer head unit.. I would have popped in a DEH-P880PRS and been done with it, but scared of it's "whining" bug, for lack of another term.

Yes, I'm sure the likes of the F1 or P9 or 9255 should rightly beat the crap out of the 9887.. I wouldn't expect it to be very close.. I'm just wondering if it gets closer for the cash than the others in it's pricepoint?.. Does it "approach" the big leagues? or is it still just the same mid-league burr-brown head unit? I should have stated it less Alpine-Fanboy-ish. sorry. I totally agree with you.. You get what you pay for.. Separate power supply or separate processing on higher quality dacs, op amps, etc.. I wouldn't expect a $400 head unit to be very close.. It'd just be interesting.
No biggie. I'm the same way about Pioneer. I'm not a bandwagon guy though. I've owned quite a few Pioneer decks in my day including a few cassette decks. I've owned Eclipse and Alpine and even a Denon and always came back to Pioneer.

No I promise I wouldn't expect it to be able to actually hang with those, but all the hype around it, it should be closer than it's only other pricepoint competitors.. the 880 and 7100.
Whether it is closer than the 880 or 7100 would totally depend on the rest of the install. With all things being equal we would have to wait and see.

Also, I'm as much for a Pioneer head unit.. I would have popped in a DEH-P880PRS and been done with it, but scared of it's "whining" bug, for lack of another term.
I guess this is what pisses me off the most. I hear so much about problems with this unit and the 860. I have an 860 and my buddy does too. He is a Premier installer for a local shoppe and they haven't had a single 880 or 860 be returned for service. That makes me wonder what the hell is going on.

Oh definitely agree.. install is crucial.. would have to be all other factors equal.

Yeah makes me wonder just how caught up one should be in reading the 880 "whining" reports in the forums.. After all, where else are they going to report them, so of course it will be concentrated.. And, I think there's something to messing with the RCA's with battery connected that's part of that issue as well.. so if disconnected first, would that not be decent prevention of popping that internal fuse? Eh.. they're all just freakin' radios for Pete's sake. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif unless it's a P9 combo of course. hehe

In 5 years, won't be too many newer cars that won't have the audio completely intigrated into everything else so.. enjoy while you can I guess.. I predict it'll all be OEM processors with hopefully some kind of digital input (for USB stick or other) at least for some level of SQ (if running lossless data)

I wonder what the ratio is for the 880/860 problems, how many sold to how many have problems. i have had 2- 860s and an 880 and I never had one problem with them. I think they got a bad rep by the 10 or so people you hear about online that had problems.

I wonder what the ratio is for the 880/860 problems, how many sold to how many have problems. i have had 2- 860s and an 880 and I never had one problem with them. I think they got a bad rep by the 10 or so people you hear about online that had problems.
Agreed. Negative press will always speak more volume than positive. It's a shame that 2 great decks had their reps spoiled due to some problems with probably 1 to 2 % of them in circulation.

Exactly.. Where do the guys go that have the problems? The Forums.. So naturally, we're reading about it here, but I'll bet the overall parts per million is pretty darn low..

Also, isn't this thing introduced by some hot-swapping RCA cable issue that can be prevented by properly battery disconnect when messing with cables?? I really hadn't done that much research as most of what's read is speculative but was wondering.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.