relay on remot out?

Participant count
  • Participant list
it should be able to handle it with out an issue
is there a point where relay should be added or am i no where near close. I've thought bout it before but never considered it a problem until i started having problems with my processor and figured that could be the problem.

for me if it's just turning on amps, once i get to 4 I use a relay if i'm just using the remote wire from a head unit. if i'm using something like a 6XS, once i get to 6 (usually never) than i'll do a relay.

for me if it's just turning on amps, once i get to 4 I use a relay if i'm just using the remote wire from a head unit. if i'm using something like a 6XS, once i get to 6 (usually never) than i'll do a relay.
maybe i'll put it on a relay just to be sure, couldn't hurt i guess

The Bosch relay that everyone uses for this takes 160 milliamps of coil current, so add the current requirements for the remote inputs on your amps and if they total up to less than 160 milliamps it won't pay to use a relay. It's usually in the spec sheet.

You didn't say what "things" you're connecting to. A typical amp remote takes about 20 milliamps (check the specs tho), so it's safe to run 7-8 of them without a relay. If you're trying to run neons or something then a relay is mandatory.

I saw ur response to a question about remote from h.u. to turn on multi amps and devices. You mentioned having a 6xs and using it with no prob turning on 3 amps. I have a 6xs as well, and I didnt know that you could use it as a "trigger".. What do you do, run the rem from the h.u directly to the 6xs and then daisy chain out to the amps? I guess my question is does the 6xs provide remote output?

I saw ur response to a question about remote from h.u. to turn on multi amps and devices. You mentioned having a 6xs and using it with no prob turning on 3 amps. I have a 6xs as well, and I didnt know that you could use it as a "trigger".. What do you do, run the rem from the h.u directly to the 6xs and then daisy chain out to the amps? I guess my question is does the 6xs provide remote output?
The 6XS does not have signal sensing and a remote trigger, a few of Audio Control's products have it but the 6XS isn't one of them. The LCQ-1, DQL-8, LC2i, LC6i, LC7, LC8i, and Epicenter Plus all have signal sensing and a remote trigger. Even if you run the remote from the HU directly to the 6XS, then daisy chain it to the amps the remote signal is still coming from the head unit.

here's an idea- hook a dmm in series and measure the current pulled, also the voltage. the head unit should have something like a 200ma limit, but it could be in the spec sheet, or online somewhere. rule of thumb on head units, is 3 typical devises. at least that was what it was back in the 90's/early2k's.

i use a relay with a quenching diode. always have. that way i can connect anything i want, amps, fans, lights, etc. without any worry. i usually put the relay in the trunk by the amps and power it from the amp power wire (with inline fuse) - typically a spare output on a fused distro block. but in my Accord the relay is behind the HU because i have it powering other things up front as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.