Recommendations on Eclipse/MTX subs for first system.

Malax
10+ year member

Illinois
Hey, everybody. Need a little advice and input on the subs that I'm considering for my system. Hate to post another vs thread, but couldn't find anything really comparing these two.

As of right now, I'm mainly considering the Eclipse SW8200or the MTX Thunder 9500, both of the 12" variety (discounts, you guys know how it goes.) If I get the MTX, I'll probably be going with their loaded enclosure. I'd probably one sub if possible.

I'm completely new at all of this, so feel free to dumb it down as much as you want replying, I won't be offended. Not really going to talk about the amp a ton, because I'll just buy accordingly.

I'm looking for (I think) an SQL system. I sat and thought about it a bit, and honestly, sound quality and volume are fairly close in importance here, with sound quality tipping the scales. I want clear audible sound, but I'd still like the option to be able to wang if I felt like it at the moment. I listen to mostly listen to hip-hop and rap, so more of a booming bass as opposed to tighter is likely what I'd be looking for. (Planning to port the box as well).

I've heard some really good things about the 8200's, especially that the sound quality on them is quite good. What I'm worried about is that the volume won't be there, especially when comparing to something like the 9500, and I'll be forced to go with 2 12's with the 8200's. I'm kinda surprised because it seems like the RMS on the Eclipse subs is pretty low at 675W to be a 2000W peak sub.

I'm thinking that 2 8200's would be just as loud and have better sound quality than the 9500, but from what I've been reading, the box would need to be massive. Do you think that I'm not losing much volume and gaining a lot of sound quality with the 8200 or vice versa?

Last, I'm a bit in the dark on the wiring. The 8200's say they are single coil at 3ohm. Would wiring 2 give me a 1.5ohm load and be ok?

Sorry for the novel. I just wanted to be thorough and figured most anyone who would take their time to give me help would rather have too much info than not enough. Thanks in advance.

I really don't have that kinda money to buy those 2 you listed, morgans. I'm a bit limited here because I can get a deal on these.

Like I was saying, will I have to go with 2 to approach the loudness of the one MTX?

I really don't have that kinda money to buy those 2 you listed, morgans. I'm a bit limited here because I can get a deal on these.
Like I was saying, will I have to go with 2 to approach the loudness of the one MTX?
Either will do what your expecting just fine. Basically its all going to come down to the install (ie speaker box). Take what ever is cheaper and do some research, build a nice box and you will be happy!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.