Recieved DLS Iridiums, PICS not 56k

Justintoxicated
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Well I finaly got them all I can say as these are the best sounding Comps I have ever and may ever own.

DLS1.jpg

DLS2.jpg

DLSTweeter1.jpg

Here they are in comparison to my old garbage

KenvsIridium.jpg

KenvsIridium3.jpg

KenvsIridium7.jpg

KenMagnet1.jpg

OMFG 23g x 2 hi powered Neodymium magents! FOR SHAME! MADE IN TAIWAN!

DLSMagnet1.jpg

These things sound amazing so far and they are only powered from my HU untill I finish Matting the rest of the the vehicle so I can run teh 0ga for my disrto block and amps. Even off the HU they are MUCH louder than the dualmags (althoguh 1 tweet was blow even with workin tweets these are louder and have probably4+ times the midbass of the dualmags and also sound ALOT more clear and less harsh that the slink tweets that came with the dual mags!

I can't wait to run some real power to them m Eclipse 5444 is only putting out about 11 watts RMS to each set and it is enough power to make them thump hard enough to feel air shooting out the holes for the door panel clips on the far end of the door at less than 34th volume. I can't wait to hook these to my eclipse 75x2 amp!

not sure will be needing any rear speakers now I may just leave the factory ones.

Congrats on the new components //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I love mine they are great drivers for sure. Wait until you get some real power to them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif You will be amazed.

Kali

I'm not sure how you can judge them as the best sounding you've heard when they are powered by 16watts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif Even crappy speakers can sound great when getting that little power.

brian has some of those, and i must say, they can get loud as hell, and they really kick you in the chest!

look into making some kickpods man!

best sounding meaning the cleanestthat I have heard, not necessarily the cleanest that exist, im sure Rainbow would put me to shame right? Also they get Both louder and are proabbly 10 times as clear as the stock 2 ohm 6x9's hooked to the same HU. They also sound much better than my dual mags hooked up to my 75x2 amp with the install in my last vehicle, even though these are only running off the HU! Need I say there is NO comparison to the dual mags hooked up to the HU. Thats where the statement came from. I know only 11 watts but they tump harder and cleaner than other systems hooked to amplifiers. I can hear their potential jsut waiting to unlock it. I have to find a way to drilla 1 inch hole in my firewall to run the 0ga.

I have not decided what to do with the dual mags yet as they ahve 1 blown tweeter, which is why I decided to get new comps, now I'm glad I blew that tweet.

They are not going to go in pods as I'm trying to stealth as much as possible. I used 1/2 roll of RAAMAT on each door, so about 1 full and 1 partial layer on the outer skin, 3 layers behind the speakers and ensolite foam behing the speaker, also 2-3 layers on the inner skin + ensolite foam. As said it is sealed pretty well as even with HU power I can feel air pushing out the pop clip holes for the door panel.

LauraHelp.jpg

DLSInstalled6.jpg

looks good. some people dont like the non-pressed paper cone, but i've always loved dls stuff. very neutral, laid back set, awesome for SQ.

just toss your kenwoods.

I guess the Cone is not the Coolest looking, but I could give a **** less cause it sounds sweet as hell. :p not like you can see it through the door panel anyways.

DLSInstalled2.jpg

The MDF Adapters are sealed to the doors with compressed weather stripping foam. I used allenheads and nylock buts to make sure I could tighten the adapters down real tight and get a good deal.

Adapters were made larger because there are 6x9's here in the stock location.

as you can see in the pic I put the aluminum ring under the speaker it just seemed to work better for me this way support wise. Is this bad or no? I'm not goign to use the grill as these fit inside the door panel grills fine. I really don't think I needed the ring at all to be honest but it did seem to add some support and clearance when mounted this way.

Folks, thanks for the feedback and comments and advice on selecting these comps.

I think the cone looks tight...

But yea I wish I had me enough to afford one of these right now. Well I do but I gotta hurry up n get my subs first //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I think the cone looks tight...
But yea I wish I had me enough to afford one of these right now. Well I do but I gotta hurry up n get my subs first //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Cool I still can't decide on small SQL subs to fit under my back seat. What you getting?

looks good. some people dont like the non-pressed paper cone, but i've always loved dls stuff. very neutral, laid back set, awesome for SQ.
just toss your kenwoods.
I was thinking about replacing the stock rear speakers with them and Running just the Mid's of the HU using the Eclipse's CD5444's crossover rather than kenwoods, but I think the stock speakers give off a little more bass and filler off the HU than teh dual mags (although not as clear), and this is with both stockers wired to one channel on my HU. I'd like to run the rear filler speakers in sterio but the factory Titan speakers are 2 ohms.

What would happen if I ran the factory 2 ohm speakers off my Eclipse 5444 HU; one off each chanel rather than both of them in series off 1 channel like I have them wires now? I'm not worried about blowing them as I can adjust the fade on the HU to help avoid this. But what I don't want to do is damage the HU!

Any recomendations as far as what to do with the rear?

I have a feeling the Iridiums will be loud enough to blister my ears once I get them powered off an amp, but the suicide doors on the titan open almost a full 90 deg makin them perfect for playing music for people Outside of the truck (Like when I go to the desert), not to mention the fact I think some filler for the rear would be nice as I can turn it down so as not to screw with imaging.

I got the stock tweete cover re-installed, But I had to remove the Basketball Grill from the tweeters.

What I did was take some really thin stiff cardboard and make a cutout so the stock grills could be used.

TweetTempMount1.jpg

But the tweeter still did not fit, the grill sticks out too far to protect that huge dust cap.

TweetTempMount2.jpg

So I removed the Grill from the tweeter (it snaps on real secure). This allowed me to push the tweeter down a bit, however there is not much a lip ont he tweeter's body since the lip of the tweeter in the pic is actualy part of the basketball grill.

I then proceded to BUST out some duct tape and attach the bottom of the tweeter to the cardboard securley.

The Cardboard is thin enough that the stock grills will pop on, but apply pressure on the cardboard where the 6 shorter stopper prongs are located (4 clip prongs attached to the grill that hold the grill to the dash, and 6 stopps that press against the cardboard). This will stop the cardboard from flying upward and smashing the dome of the tweeter on a hard impact. The tweeter is securley taped to the cardboard from the bottom with duct tape. I think this should stop it from moving around for now but I do Offroad this vehicle a bit.

Anyone have any ideas how to do this better? I was looking at the plumbers strap someone used and recomended in my post about making mounts but that method honestly does not sound much better than the one I used? Or maybe it is?

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26567&highlight=tweeter+mounts

Any Ideas?

Also any Advice on how to hookup speakers and what I should be using for my rear fill as I mentioned in the post above?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.