Re audio mt dustcap seperation fix

Participant count
  • Participant list

metott8666

I have owned an MT now for about three months and in that time I had to reglue the dustcap 4 times. It was brought to my attention by my old local dealer Absolute Audio if you cannot get the dustcap to stay. You need to completely remove the dustcap, sand all excess glue off dustcap and cone. Then in the area in which the dustcap contacts the cone use a small drill bit to drill holes through the dust cap for the glue or epoxy to flow through. Then liberally apply glue to cone and press the dustcap onto the glue so it comes out the top of the holes. Then apply more glue as you see fit. I personally did this with gorilla two part epoxy and am extremely happy have not had a seperation yet and I am running around 2400 watts daily to this sub. The only down fall is large amounts of glue on your sub, but as long as you take your time and do this correctly even with alot of glue it still looks good.

BAD idea. now with those holes you have lowered te powerhandling of the sub. the reason they pop off is because of the soild pole pressure builds up behind the dust cap. to fix this use e6000 glue. you will never have it happen again. if you want a new cap pm me and glue it down right so ur coil dosent over heat...

You could also put a double dustcap on it. PUt a inverted one on to block the pressure then the regular over that. GL

Never had a prob w/ a mt dustcap holding on. Id get a fresh dust cap and maybe use some 1 min epoxy. I have a extra recone and 18 inch basket, pm me me if your interested

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

metott8666

metott8666
Monroe, NC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date