rattles??

Participant count
  • Participant list

bass monkey
10+ year member

ok, i have one 10" concept sub rated at 500w max power hooked up too a 600w kenwood amp. i have four boston acoustic 4 1/2" speakers running straight off my JVC deck at 40w x 4. my box for my sub is sealed at about 1.17 cubic feet space. when it is turned up the sub "hops" or clicks. why is this.... also, i want to put in a 12" sub in a new box. would this help? if so, what kind of box. and would my regular speakers be loud enough just off the deck, or would i need an amp?

THANX!!!!!

hey! thanx. but what is the dust cap? and how small of a leak are you talkin here?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

A dust cap is located in the centre of your sub, it protects the "innards" from dust. The leak could be a small crack under a screw, or something bigger. Feel around for air being pushed out where it shoudln't be.

Sounds like the sub may be 'bottoming out'. This is when the sub is trying to move more than it is designed to. If the gains are turned up too high on the amp then that may be why. Otherwise it is possible that the sub is damaged. As mentioned above the dust cap could be damaged, but I would lean more towards a cracked spider (the yellowish gold material underneath the cone of the sub that sits in the basket). sometimes this will crack where it meets the cone causing a 'snapping' or 'popping' sound when the sub hits hard.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bass monkey

10+ year member
bass monkey
saskatoon, sk
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from