Rant: Buddies, older PPI pcx 1500

Participant count
  • Participant list

boomzabit
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Minnesota
The overall amp seems like its a powerhouse, its rated at 1000w at 2ohm.. its a pretty long, very heavy amp..

When i went to hook it up in my car (we were just swapping amps real quick) I noticed the power and ground outputs would not take my 4ga and looked as if they would only allow up to 8ga WTF? So we trimmed about half of the 4ga ends and stuck em in the outputs.. I hooked up the power then went to hook up the ground and the wire starts sparking alittle.. again WTF? The terminals are so close together its unreal. I pull power out and proceed to stick the wire in again, this time my f'n 150a fuse blows. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

So i took out the fuse and then put the power in and then the ground. Then we took the fuse holder out of buddies car and throw it in mine (I had a newer stinger fuse holder, couldnt find any fuses for it) After we wire everything and put a new fuse holder in, it seemed to be alright. We hooked his 12'' hdc3 (my old sub) and everything sounded good and the sub was getting fairly loud, time to take out the amp, i start unscrewing the power wire and i noticed alittle bit of blue sparkage going on. Took out the fuse again.. Long story short, I hate those older PPI amps. Whoever designed the outputs had their head up their arse!

sounds alot more like you failed at putting the wire safely into the terminal. I've been running those style plugs for a long time without issue.

im positive 4awg plugs should be with that amp...there's a possibility that at some point in that amps life it's plugs were lost or replaced with 8awg ones. Could have been an accident or intentional by a previous owner....

im sure if you had a solid 4awg connection with little to no dead ends it would have sounded a little nicer than it already did //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.