"Tic" nosie with Dayton Audio 8" low power sub

jaross
10+ year member

I just got a Dayton SD215A-88 8" DVC subwoofer rated at 80 W rms, 120 w max from parts express. I have it hooked up to the sub channel on my Eclipse 3650 5 channel amp, which is also 120 watts at 4 ohms. The sub is wired in parallel so it should be at 4 ohms too. It is in a small wedge shaped sealed box that is .4 cubic feet. I am getting a tick noise from the sub when most notes hit. I tried it on my Onkyo home receiver and got the same result. Its not a very loud tick and when I am sitting in my car I can't really hear it, but if I put my ear right up next to the sub, or even open the trunk I can hear the tick.

I have the filter setting on the amp letting through the most frequencies possible because I want the sub to pick up some of the more mid bass notes too.

Whats going on here?

This makes sense maybe *(I wouldn't know, but I can evaluate things logically) because the tick is there even at low volumes?

How sealed should the box be? I used some caulk around the woofer itself. On the back there is a plate that has not been sealed with caulk, could that make the difference?

its a poly coated paper cone Dayton Audio SD215A-88 8" DVC Subwoofer 295-484

no low pass filter on that I know of. Not sure if it is low or high (would it be high pass filter for the sub channel?) whatever setting on the amp, like I said I have it so that the most frequencies come through as possible. I want to hear those mid bass tones in the sub, I think its really annoying when every other note from the same instrument comes through the sub, then the speakers, and so on

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jaross

10+ year member
jaross
United States
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from