"Crimping" ? KnuKonceptz Wiring help...

Farkel
10+ year member

I just got a KnuKoncepts 4AWG kit and it came with the wires etc. and then a baggie with a bunch of gold tips (circle things)... I was wondering how you attach the wires to these things? I read something about crimping but I don't have a crimping tool

EDIT: on the subject of wiring, if I were to find a good ground for the amp, if the metal was magnetic would it be a good candidate?

For 4 gauge crimping is tricky. The best bet is a vice grip. You put one of the sides down*the split neck* and pinch it down with the vice. Do the same for the other side, overlapping the first pinch. If you have heatshrink large enough, extra protection.

Any metal surface that is sanded down, no paint or dirt, is good.

SOLDER THEM!!!! Crimping *****, its generally a very weak hold. If you have a torch and some solder just slide the ring on to the wire and heat the ring with a torch and be careful to not melt the wire. Start trying to feed the solder around the edges of the ring and when it is hot enough it will **** in the solder. Heatshrink over the top using a heatgun.

I use vice grip's. here's a trick to if you cut the outer piece for the 4 guage with a razor blade in a short line will peal up that side covering do the same to the other side and when you want to strip it here's a really easy way take the razor blade again and cut in a circle around the wire then just pull the covering around the actual wire off has worked everytime for me:).

SOLDER THEM!!!! Crimping *****, its generally a very weak hold. If you have a torch and some solder just slide the ring on to the wire and heat the ring with a torch and be careful to not melt the wire. Start trying to feed the solder around the edges of the ring and when it is hot enough it will **** in the solder. Heatshrink over the top using a heatgun.
Waste of time.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

nG

we have a little tool .. not sure of the name. but it's a little box that has a V that comes down in the center of the ring and then you hit it with a hammer a couple of times and you're set.

we have a little tool .. not sure of the name. but it's a little box that has a V that comes down in the center of the ring and then you hit it with a hammer a couple of times and you're set.
It's called an anvil. Made for crimp-connecting wires. The proper tool for the job.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Farkel

10+ year member
Farkel
Bay Area, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from