Quick little DD512 box for customer.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Canaan
10+ year member

Beatin' the block down
Been a long time since I posted anything, so I thought I would just do I quick post of the DD512 box I built this evening.

Its a pretty simple daily box for the customer.

2.3cuft net, 36hz, 15sq/cuft port

photo.jpg

Not much of the actual build, but here it is about half way thru.

photo2.jpg

The BEST way to glue carpet to a box. HFLP latex spray gun and WoodWeld contact cement.

On of these Kobalt guns usually lasts me about 6-8months, then the WoodWeld pretty much kills it. I toss it in the trash and go buy another one. By that time the gun has FAR MORE THAN PAID FOR ITSELF.

photo3.jpg

Trimmed back the carpet to the corners, spray a nice coat of contact cement on both the box and carpet.

photo4.jpg

Overlap the carpet, cut, put the seam together.

photo6.jpg

Final seam on this end of the box.

photo7.jpg

Play where's waldo w/ the seams.

Now...on to something I have not seen anyone post pics of. I don't just cut the carpet around the port. When I router my ports, I counter sink the bit into the wood a little to allow for a little lip. (I know others do this to, I just have not seen it posted here)

photo8.jpg

Paint some staples black.

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

Then I shoot staples along the notch I cut w/ the router around the port.

photo11.jpg

Then use a razor and trim the carpet just below the staples.

photo12.jpg

Close-up of how it looks. I usually take my torch and lightly burn back any frays in the carpet around the port.

By doing this to the port, you stand little or NO chance of the carpet pulling up around it over time.

photo13.jpg

The semi-finished product. I will run 14ga speaker wire into the box and mount the sub tomorrow morning.

Don't kobalt tools have a lifetime warranty?
Not sure, but I am DAM sure that spraying contact cement w/ this gun is an automatic warranty void...lol.

The word "abuse" comes to mind.

By the time I kill one of these guns, I have spent WAYYY more on contact cement than on the original cost of the gun itself.

Personally I use this one here

Siphon Feed Spray Gun

im on my second one.......im sure that once I clean the first one with acetone it will be ok too. ( I never remove the glue.....ever) and ive shot at least 15 gallons of the stuff in the last year.

Enclosure came out really nice btw.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.