Quick, help me settle this.

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrmagoo_83
10+ year member

Ok this guy is wanting to buy an AudioBahn Sub that handles 1500watts RMS, but then only wants to spend $150-$200 on an amp. I told him for that cash there was now way he could get an amp to power that sub. Now he is wanting to buy a cheap amp, something that fits in his budget and use it on that sub, I told him bad idea. Wouldn't that damage the sub and amp? Or would the sub even move at 1/3 it RMS power? I was thinking the gains would have to be set so high on the amp that it would cause clipping.

ok well this kid wants to buy that sub and then get a cheap amp, though I am not fond of AudioBahn, I just cant see buying that huge thing and then useing a cheap amp to push it so it sounds like crap. I suggested a Fosgate HX2 and the JBL 600.1 which he can get for just over $300 together. Which I think would sound much better than anything he caould afford to do with the AudioBahn setup.

Still though, with the Audiobahn sub isn't there a chance he coulse cause the amp to clip?

i always kind of thought it was bad for the sub. what about speakers?? high quality 100 watt speakers distort and risk the chance of being harmed if you don't run them with an amp. correct??

Originally posted by mrmagoo_83 ok well this kid wants to buy that sub and then get a cheap amp, though I am not fond of AudioBahn, I just cant see buying that huge thing and then useing a cheap amp to push it so it sounds like crap. I suggested a Fosgate HX2 and the JBL 600.1 which he can get for just over $300 together. Which I think would sound much better than anything he caould afford to do with the AudioBahn setup.

Still though, with the Audiobahn sub isn't there a chance he coulse cause the amp to clip?
for $650...i could hook him up with 2 12w6v2's and a JBL 1200.1....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif just a suggestion.

well he only wants to spend $350 on the sub and amp, thats why I found the 600.1 and the HX2 over at IkeSound. Its the kids first system, I think he is just wanting to be heard or show off the sub, but there woudn't be any showin off if he didn't have any power right?

Originally posted by Bumpin03 i always kind of thought it was bad for the sub. what about speakers?? high quality 100 watt speakers distort and risk the chance of being harmed if you don't run them with an amp. correct??
I dont think underpowering a speaker will cause any harm. However, if you have a speaker that is rated at 100 rms, and its running off your HU that maybe puts out 15 watts rms that could cause distortion, not because the speaker is distorting, but because the amp is struggling to meet the volume level accurately. What you hear through the speaker is distortion, but not distortion from the speaker. does that make any sense? I could be wrong though...

Originally posted by mrmagoo_83ok well this kid wants to buy that sub and then get a cheap amp, though I am not fond of AudioBahn, I just cant see buying that huge thing and then useing a cheap amp to push it so it sounds like crap. I suggested a Fosgate HX2 and the JBL 600.1 which he can get for just over $300 together. Which I think would sound much better than anything he caould afford to do with the AudioBahn setup.

Most anything will sound better than Audiobahn IMO. If he is set with AB why doesnt he just get a lower rated sub that would be able to fit his price range? And as long as you arent pushing the amp too hard and blasting the gains the amp shouldnt clip.

ok, but if he is using say a jbl 300.1 to run the 1500watt RMS sub, wouldn't that put more stress on the amp?? Anyway I will suggest to him the setup I mentioned above. THanks

Originally posted by mrmagoo_83 ok, but if he is using say a jbl 300.1 to run the 1500watt RMS sub, wouldn't that put more stress on the amp?? Anyway I will suggest to him the setup I mentioned above. THanks
it will only put stress on the amp if hes running the amp at full volume and abusing the gains and stuff like that. Subs dont **** power from an amp, they accept it.

Originally posted by mrmagoo_83 Yea thats right. But he sounds really new to this stuff and probably will crank it all up.
just put a piece of tape over the gain control and dont let him touch it...should be allright then...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif:)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

well i dont know how badly he wants that audiobahn sub....but if he wants a jbl 1200.1 that will push around 1300 watts....i have one up for sale...that i could go for about 220 + shipping. so if he really wants taht and wants to save up a few more bucks...then hes all set.

Originally posted by Jmac Why doesn't he just get an Alum (I hate Audiobahn, too, but it sounds like he REALLY wants a chrome sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif) ?

It would be easier to power and he could use a JBL BP600.1 to power it without a problem ...
Audiobahn = bling! bling!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.