Question on a RE SX motor.

ItsAJeepThing
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
My friend came to me today and said his sub was sounding weird. So I pushed on the cone and there was obvious coil rub. I thought the coil just came unraveled because it was an older sub. When I took it apart the coil was still in tact. When I looked on the inside of the coil i noticed the coil had some scratches on a certain spot along with the same scratches on the motor. My friend ran over some railroad tracks and he said thats when it started doing this. Would a simple recone fix this? Or is the motor out of alignment? See pics below.

Thanks.

View attachment 26527672

do you have pics of the whole motor?....i think it was the former rubbing so the coil could have been out of alignment but dont quote me.....Contact SPLaudio

please post a pix over the whole top plate strait on. if the gap is even between the pole and top plate it hasnt shifted.

a coil can rub on the pole for several reasons such as, when it was built the coil may not have been centered well and rubbed a little at high excursion new. but more than likely the spiders are damaged or really weak and when pushed beyond its limits it gets very nonlinear.

the polycotton spiders fi/re/dc uses dont like the heat from the coil thats why nomex is best it can handle the heat. read about nomex //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It's a tad bit difficult to see but here ya guys go.

c2ae120f.jpg

Normally if it shifts doesnt the glue just give the rest of the way and the top plate gets pulled to the pole? Thats what happened on mine at least.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.