question about optimal tuning for 12" Fi Q

pablo4429
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
san diego
ok so ive built a couple of sealed boxes before but i think i want to try to go ported this time.

Fi's site recommends 28-33hz so i was wondering what the best frequency for sq is because i have been reading that if you tune and build the box right you can get a ported to sound just as good as sealed while still being decently loud.

I was thinking 31hz or so, a medium, but im not sure what changing the frequency will do? also i will be running a kicker zx1000.1 is a chevy s10 extended cab so i want to keep it at 2 to 2.25 cu ft max if possible.

thanks for any info

The best frequency for SQ is sealed.

In most cases, in order to produce an at least somewhat flat (sonically accurate) frequency response in a car with a ported box, you would want to make the box slightly smaller than suggested and tune much lower, like 24-28hz.

If you don't care about accurate musical reproduction, then people will probably tell you to tune around 30 hz. But this still creates a huge peak at that frequency meaning the bass reproduction is no longer accurate.

yea im not looking for like amazing sq just something that sounds pretty good but will still get loud, i guess im leaning to spl rather than sq so would a tuning of 30hz be ok or should i go with 29 or 28

thanks

I built a vented box for my 15" Q @ 32Hz a couple months ago and i didnt care for it. I sealed the port this weekend and it sounds much better. Just a thought, im sure it would have sounded better if it was tuned lower

i didnt really like my Q 12 sealed, but thats me. mine was tuned to 31 when I ported it and it sounded good. Not as flat as sealed, but not boomy either. I would shoot for 30

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.