Quality head units?

I seem to have bad luck.

A couple years ago I got a Kenwood KDC-X998, but it's had a lot of problems. I don't know if I want to do a system overhaul because I might get something with the same problems or worse.

1. Impossible to see in sunlight

2. Locking up / freezing (hasn't happened in a while though)

3. IHeartRadio app just doesn't work, kept getting failures when trying to use it (I forget the details) and I don't think I could get any of the other apps to work either,

4. If you want to change the preset (powerful, flat, whatever) and have them all the same for Bluetooth, radio, etc. you're out of luck, you have to switch between sources and change the preset on each source.

5. It doesn't have preset buttons on the radio near the bottom like most units, you have to hit a button to change between 1,2,3 (preset, seek, manual) changing of the stations and if you left the radio on preset mode and you want to change the station to something not in your presets with the remote you have to do it at the radio.

6. Menus are complicated to navigate

7. I emailed Kenwood about the software bugs asking them to release a software update or something if they could and all I got was a no basically.

Look at the bad reviews online about it, basically the same problems I have.

I know JVC / Kenwood is basically the same thing, but I know people who have JVC units and don't have any problems so could JVC have better quality control? I had an Alpine 4 channel amp and out of nowhere it started ringing through the speakers so I got rid of it and I'm also scared to buy anything Alpine now or Pioneer because of the dreaded PICO fuse ringing. Does anybody make a quality head unit? It almost seems like stock head units are built better in general.

That a double-din?
Interesting....Kenwood has been around for years and usually they put out some quality stuff.
It's a single din. I remember I wrote a review on sonicelectronix and it was $260 when I got it. I can't remember who I got it from, either crutchfield or sonicelectronix.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-SQPO6okJ3mQ/p_113KDCX998/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X998.html?XVINQ=DST&XVVER=Z01&awcp=1t1&awcr=163714929590&awdv=c&awkw=_cat%3Ahome&awmt=b&awnw=g&awug=9013037

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_76474_Kenwood-eXcelon-KDC-X998.html

Alpine and Pioneer still make really good units. I wouldnt put Jvc in that class. I went from a prs80 to a Jvc AR959 and the difference in quality was staggering.

Get a prs80, alpine 149 or 164

Output clips easy, i dont think rcas do the voltage they claim, deck will freeze audio for extended periods (like 3-5 minutes). Not nearly enough sq control features.

If you are looking cheap, maybe the 99$ pioneer 6900 which is active capable

Im not big on them tbh. Sa8v2's ive used in the past are better in every way possible; louder, lower, sound better, more robust mechanically.

There is a reason they cost half what the Sa8 does. That said, my expectations were just too high. On a budget and with space restrictions they are certainly viable. Could do alot worse for the 89$ that they often go on sale for.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.