PXA-H701 or PXE-H650 for Subaru OEM HU

Participant count
  • Participant list

naiku
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Virginia
So I am 99% sure I am going to be picking up a Subaru Legacy GT pretty soon, the problem with this car is that the climate control board is attached to the HU board and apparently very difficult to separate, meaning I am stuck with the OEM HU.

Ultimately I will be looking to set up a 3 way active system (most likely with DIY components). Is the H701 or the H650 a better option to go with? I have read about the PXE-H650 and a lot of reviews mention that the outputs are pretty weak, is this true? I believe I could add a line driver, but would prefer not to add any unnecessary components.

I know that the H701 is a better unit, but is it compatible with the OEM Subaru HU? I feel like the H650 would cover 99% of what I personally need, and is cheaper to buy (since I would also need the C701 if going the H701 route). But is the H650 any good?

Edit: Almost forgot, is the H701 being discontinued? Crutchfield no longer carry it and list it as discontinued, but I can still find it on the Alpine website.

Thanks.

yes, the h701 is discontinued. the h650 would be a good choice if you're not competent with tuning. it can tune for you and the best part with the h650 is that you can still make your own adjustments after the auto-tune.

yes, the h701 is discontinued. the h650 would be a good choice if you're not competent with tuning. it can tune for you and the best part with the h650 is that you can still make your own adjustments after the auto-tune.
I am thinking that the H650 would be a better bet for me. I like to tune my system, but don't know that I am at the level of needing the H701, and would worry that I spent all that money on something I only used 25% of its capabilities.

I have found a decent review of the H650 over at DIYMA, and it looks like it addresses most of the set up problems that I have read. If I find its not enough I could always sell the H650 and upgrade to a 701 down the line.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

naiku

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
naiku
Virginia
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date