pseudo-clamshell?

Participant count
  • Participant list

T.I.K.
10+ year member

F*ck it, we'll do it live
Michigan
From what I under stand, clam shell boxes are supposedly louder. If you don't have two woofers to clam shell, couldn't you theoretically achieve the same effect by facing your port at the sub cone?

I dont think it would work that way. Because of the fact that clam shells have angled subs facing the same vector they don't cause cancellation. But facing your port at your sub well I can see cancelation being a problem though I'm not sure how you would manage facing your port at you sub anyway

From what I under stand, clam shell boxes are supposedly louder. If you don't have two woofers to clam shell, couldn't you theoretically achieve the same effect by facing your port at the sub cone?
Group delay between the port's output and the speaker's output will mean the port and speaker are out of phase with each other, which is why your idea wouldn't work very well. Clamshells place the opposing speakers in a position (angle and distance) that couples the output of the two, and the combined output is sent out in a vector towards the listener (or mic). With the delay in output from a port versus the direct waves from the speaker, coupling the two is impossible.

since were speaking of clams how would one go about figuring out a design for one?
I know I might not be the first person you think of when you think of box designs, but if been wanting to design a box like that, it you wanna give box dimensions ill draw something up for giggles

One last question would there be any benefits to clam shelling the ports?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

T.I.K.

10+ year member
F*ck it, we'll do it live
T.I.K.
Michigan
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date