Project BURLY 'BURB under way!!

gasmachine85
10+ year member

I wasn't going to start a build thread on here yet since I will not actually be returning from Afghanistan until sometime in January, but I want everything to be in one place for this build so f**k it...

Here is what I am thinking, but I want some help/advice/opinions... I want to build something that will have good SQ for daily bumping, but be able to pull a respectable SPL as well. Also trying to stay around 1K for subs and amps.

So I think I am going to go with 12 of these... http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17889_Rockford+Fosgate+PRIME+R1S410.html

And want run 3 of these.... http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14639_Power+Acoustik+BAMF-2000-1D+-BAMF2000-1D-.html

Each amp will power 4 subs wired in series producing a 4ohm load like so...http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/4SVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

I am going to build the box myslef, making 3 rows of 4 subs netting 1 cubic foot per sub in a sealed box. Think this is too much space? I heard these particular subs like a little bigger box.

I can not exactly remember what head unit is in the truck, nothing too high speed though. I think it is a kenwood maybe, it was in the truck when I bought it. It will probably get an upgrade though eventually as well as the speakers.

My vehicle of choice will be my trusty ole 1987 Suburban with a 4" Rancho suspension lift sitting on 35x12.50x16.5 BFG ATs which I off road on a regular basis.

I am pretty set on the subwoofers but open for suggestions.

At this point I will probably go with these amps, but since I am not to familiar with power acoustic, id deff be open for better suggestions. I just need and amp that will give me 600-750 watts RMS @ 4ohms, but dont want to spend more then 250 per amp.

I think this about covers it, though some of you may be asking yourselves, WHY? Simple answer really..I DO NOT like doing things the same way as others. I have nearly re-invented the wheel on every project I have done. Like said before, I think this combo should produce some pretty good SPL while retaining good SQ for daily bumping.

OK guys...I'm open for opinions/thoughts/suggestions/put downs/trash talk and any other thing you can throw at me.

The truck I will be using for this build...
DSCI0050.jpg

**PUTS ON FLAME RETARDANT SUIT**

nooooo bamf amps please. you said you wanted 3 of those? that will be approx 510... you can find an aq2200 for 350 shipped which will outpower all three of the bamfs, and im sure you can probably find a nice 3k amp for around 500 bucks. why do you want to run the amps @ 4 ohm?

why don't you wire the subs into 3 sets of 4 each to a 4 ohm load, and then wire the 3 sets of 4 subs in paralell to a 1.34 ohm load total?

Several questions.

First off, I know that youre stubborn, but hear me out. You're buying three amplifiers(cheaper ones at that) that are 1ohm stable. Instead of running those amplifiers at 1ohm, you're intending to run them at 4ohm each? I dont see the point in having a 1ohm amplifier at this point.

Secondly, upgrade your electrical. Two half-ass batteries and the big three will not give you desired results you want.

Third, at 1^ft per sub(For 10" Woofers) you're getting pretty **** close to a ported box in size - so my question is(And I know how much **** room you have haha) why not go ported, or go up to sealed 12" Woofers at 1^ft or maybe a hair more per woofer?

Next, woofer suggestions. I have two that I can think of(just from a quick reference point) that you would MORE THAN LIKELY be happier with. Yes, I realize both are 12" Woofers.

Option One - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EIGK1Q

Option Two - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9357_Hifonics+HFi+12D4.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle

Now, The amplifier choice. There is better and quite frankly, I'd rather see you run Hifonics amplifiers than the PA stuff. Any day of the week. Save your money, buy used //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif - there are MUCH stronger amplifiers to be had at a cheaper rate than those.

Summary - Your electrical blows, you need to beef it up FIRST thing. The woofer is half ass, but would be a decent "ground pounder" so to speak(but once again, Rather see the HFI or the RSD be used in this situation). You have room to do 12" Woofers sealed if you can go just a hair larger, which I'm sure that you can in all reality. It's a waste, on a budget(with high output in mind) to run a 1ohm stable amplifier at 4ohms, it simply is not designed to produce power there. You're on a budget - do what is the most simple and will have the best results easily. Do NOT skimp on electrical and other HUGE necessities that will have a great downfall in the outcome of this setup. Skimp on things like carpet and other "pretty" things - do the hard parts correctly the first time. Buy 1/0 wire, run it, buy the electrical, keep it.

My final suggestion would be an alternator + a couple extra Group 31 batteries, 12 12" Woofers sealed or 12 10" Woofers ported with the rough estimate of room you have, and two monoblock amplifiers(or one large monoblock) that will produce the power and the lower desired ohmload.

Par Se - 12 Dual 4ohm woofers can be wired down to .67ohms. One larger amplifier, such as a Sundown 3000d, RD 3250, or honestly a LOT of other amplifiers would do great. If you want to run two amplifiers, 6 SVC4ohm woofers will wire down to .67(That would be .67ohm per amplifier), so there's something else to think about. There's a million options, but once again I would like to re-itterate that you NEED to beef up that electrical and you should also spend time to make sure calculations on the box are correct and it's well braced.

Best of luck and sorry for jumping around a tad in this speech.

Someone is doing it wrong.........

$600 on subs? $450 on amps? Holy crap man.

Here is my take on what you should do if you are willing to spend....

$600 can get you 8 MB Quart RWE352s. They are 15'' subs that LOVE sealed(1.5 cubes) and only need 750rms a piece. They are dual 2s so 4 subs will go to 1 ohm, 8 subs will go to 2 or 0.5 ohms.

Get 8 Mb Quart RWE352s, and two amps that can do a true 3000rms@1ohm. Put each sub in 1.5 cubes sealed.

8 15s dont joke around and it would easily be 10x better than the RF and Poweracoustik junk you're looking at.

Take it or leave it, but read up about the RWE 352s man. You will never find a better sub for $75...... They fit the bill...........

Kevin

OK, well I checked out the suggested alternates...

First off, I dont have enough room to do 8 15" subs...well, i might, maybe, but i dont think so.

Second, i checked out those 12s could be some possibilities, but how about these...http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9331_Alpine+SWS-1023D.html

Deffinitely going to bump up the price a bit ****it, but whatever.

As for amps and like i said was flexable, something like this maybe...http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9952_Pioneer+Premier+PRS-D2000SPL.html

or this...http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQ3500D.htm

I am not neccesarily going to buy them new, but I would prefer to buy my subs new, all in all I think im gonna end up spending closer to 2k for it all.

Also whats your thoughts on power caps? Good idea?

Honestly I think that audioque AMP is where the money is at.... one of those should pump out the power i need and for one helluva price.

I am trying to veiw the sundown website but having issues.... want to check out the SAZ-3500D but as it stands... $840 for those alpines and $550 for the audioque amp new, makes $1390. this should be a durable combo no?

Do six of those fifteens...... they are easily worth 150 a piece. Or even four of them will destroy the output of those 12 10s........

Get the AudioQue 3500d and run it at .667ohms(6 of the dual 2 ohm 15s). $550+$550-600 for the subs. Shyt would pound and sound amazing doing it. Those subs get loud and drop LOW. You have the space dude. I know you do.

Kevin.

Kevin

Meh, AQ amp isnt bad, pricing considered. I dont suggest you running it at .67 daily with minimal knowledge of what you're doing, much less with suggesting to run capacitors with no batteries nor alternator upgrades.

If you want to run a larger amp or multiple decently sized amplifiers, YOU NEED an alternator and batteries to both supply and hold the voltage required for the amplifier(s) to produce the power. Point blank, simple, the end.

Now. You wanted to do 12 10's sealed in 1^ft per woofer, right? That's, roughly, 12^ft. 8 15" woofers in 1.5^ft per chamber is well, 12^ft, roughly. Same airspace requirements.

If you read up on those 15" woofers and find out, in fact, they enjoy a sealed enclosure around 1.5^ft per woofer, sounds like a great freaking idea to me. 8 of them on two AQ3500D's or similar amplifiers would make you smile, I'm sure.

YOU NEED to upgrade your electrical first. Capacitors are essentially useless for what you want/need. Batteries and an alternator is what you want if you want to beat on it(once again, point blank).

The Type S's are *decent* woofers, but the other woofers mentioned in this thread(The RSD's and from personal experience, the HFI is on que with it honestly) would make you just as happy reasonably cheaper //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

If you want to stick a *tad* closer to the 1k budget hey, buy 12 of the Hifonics 12's(be about 400 bucks shipped for all of them) and put the twelve of them on an AQ3500D. SPEND AS MUCH AS YOU CAN in a nicer HU(do this last, yours will work fine for now), 1/0 wire, batteries and an alternator. I cannot, once again, stress how important the last two components mentioned are to your build being successful.

550 for amp, 400 for subs, 400 for alternator, 100 for wire, 300 for batteries. That's a fairly loud setup, I'd say, and you're right at around 1750 shipped for all of it BNIB. You still need MDF and a decent little design. I'd still like to see you squeeze a tad more space and do either the 8 15's sealed or the 12 10's ported, but hey, do what you want.

I do understand the importance of the batteries and alternator, so what batteries do you suggest and how many. I think I can manage on the alrenator since I wrench on vehicles non stop. I own 7 as of now and 5 are never ending projects.

would one of these do the trick? http://www.woofersetc.com/p4580/HC2400--Kinetik-2600-Amp-High-Current-Power-Cell.htm

how do you tune a ported box? i have no idea, thats why i want to go with a sealed one.

Well i think i will do some looking around, play with the calculator and maybe change up my plan a little. I really would like to keep the subs and amp at around 1K so ill see what i can get for 500 in subs. What about 18's what would yall suggest? i could prob swing 4 of them. i just like the sound of 12 10's though. or even 12 12's i guess but well see.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.