Profile power vs other higher $$ power..

kingsxman
10+ year member

Noob in training
Just curious. I'm running Profile amps in my setup: AP1040 running the fronts and backs (75W @ 4ohm RMS) and a Profile msx 600 running my subs. The fronts arent terribly loud. (Infinity reference 5 1/4s in front, Alpine Type R 6x9's in the rear). Would i see much of a difference swapping out my Profile AP1040 for something like a Pheonix Gold R.8.0.4? Is their power cleaner or underrated?

How much $$ would I have to spend before I noticed a difference in power?

Heres what I was thinking of...

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3392

IMO the Octane R amps are not that great, I would stick with the Profile actually rather then spending money to change. My Hex sperarates get nice and loud off of the 75rms my D6600.4 is rated at.

Stick with the profiles

If your ordering from ikesound try a brand like Viper,Directed,Orion, or look for phoenix gold xenon or tantrum amps

Throw the Profiles away immediatly and buy the Phoenix Gold
bdawson72 ~ can you provide a legitimate argument as to why you would suggest this to the original poster? While Phoenix Gold inarguably makes some rock solid audio gear I don't know would I go so far as to say that the Octane R-series units would be worlds apart in terms of quality from the California-series Profile amps. For a budget amplifier Profile makes a decent amp, IMO. I've owned several and was happy with all of them (as are the people that currently own them).

Since you already have a decent amp I don't see a need to upgrade because the gain will be too minimal to justify the price...unless you find someone that wants to buy the profile amp.

But I was considering getting that pg amp...what is the problem with them... Are they not built well and do they put out rated power?

It's been noted on this forum, by reputable members, that doubling amp power output will give you a 3 decibel increase, at best. Therefore, anything less may not be noticeable.

I would say, stick with what you have.

sitck with the profile, honestly you shouldnt be able to notice a huge difference.

i would rather you spend your money on a better fronstage (i hate infinity's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif ) than get a new amp. proper installation (kickpods or good deadened doors) and a set of components would sound way better than coaxial (im assuming you have coaxials?)

and btw, i have a profile AP600 and ive used several profile amps. i was impressed with the price\power\looks of all of them. in fact, ive put the +\- backwards a few times because its hard to read the writing on the chrome on the side in the dark lol - and the amp is still fine. ive read people who have gotten water all over them and they work fine, people with rust on them from being under the seat for years and so forth.

imo - they do what they claim and they give reliable power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.