processing power? best SQ headunit

thadman
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Indiana
Ive searched the forums, and I cant seem to find an unbiased answer.

Does the 8454 (eclipses last years high end unit) have better processing power than Alpines 9855 (The glidetouch does not bother me and is it essentially the same in every aspect as the 9835 other than glidetouch, does 9835 have better SQ?)

Thank You VERY MUCH

from what i read so far, yes Eclipse 8454 has MUCH better SQ than the 9855... but that's mainly because Alpine went downhill this year...

i believe older alpines 7878 and 7998 are the alpines with MP3 remarkably known for having good SQ

so I should go with the 8454 over the 9885? As I cannot get ahold of the 9835 very readily. How is the screen/functions on the 8454? Is it comparable to the 9885?

well dude AFAIK Eclipse is usually much better than alpine for SQ'ers like you...

i've been considering buying one... have heard lots of complaints about the 9855... 9835 seems to be a fantastic HU, i have myself a 9815 which is basicly the same hu and i like it a lot too despite some minor glitches...

the only thing i know for sure eclipse can't stand against alpine is the internal active xover of the hu's... alpine's internal xover is simply the best man, it has lots of cuts, slopes, atenuation levels... it seems Eclipse xover is more for that standard people...

alpine seems more "pro" maybe, i dont know if tweaked it can sound as good as an eclipse, but i think the majority of people who are more into SQ will recommend the 8454 over the 9855...

but give it time for more replies heh

If you got enough for that----check into maybe a P9 combo---untouched Sq (unless you have a few thousand sitting around collecting dust for a Alpine F#1 status)

9855 is basically the same thing as the 9835 but the 9855 has that stupid glide touch. Thats pretty much the only difference. Same capabilites and specs. Just stupid glide touch.

But i'd get the 8454 if you can get it. i have the 8455 and its tuning capabilities is way cool. the 8454 has the same tuning capabilities as the 8455 i think so basically they are the same deck tuning wise. The 8v preout/55ohm impedance of the eclipse can't be matched. i believe the alpine has 4v preout/10kohm impedance.

If you got enough for that----check into maybe a P9 combo---untouched Sq (unless you have a few thousand sitting around collecting dust for a Alpine F#1 status)
I believe you're talking about the 7990 which incidentally is NO longer offered by Alpine. Anywho, the 7990 would sound NO better than the P9 combo. Especially as far as processing power is concerned. P9 combo is way more versatile than the 7990 by itself. I don't think Alpine made a companion processor for that deck.

I believe you're talking about the 7990 which incidentally is NO longer offered by Alpine. Anywho, the 7990 would sound NO better than the P9 combo. Especially as far as processing power is concerned. P9 combo is way more versatile than the 7990 by itself. I don't think Alpine made a companion processor for that deck.
I'm not quite sure if this deck is the replacement but my guess is it is a replacement to the 7990. This is also plays dvd's so yea. http://www.alpinef1status.com/e/products/items/dvi-9990.html

I'm not quite sure if this deck is the replacement but my guess is it is a replacement to the 7990. This is also plays dvd's so yea. http://www.alpinef1status.com/e/products/items/dvi-9990.html

I think you're right, but I'm not sure. I was also premature to say they never made a companion processor for it. It looks like they do but unfortunately it is NOT being offered over here much like MOST high end units these days. But for the price to perfromance ratio the P9 owns it hands down. The F1 deck and processor would probably end up being around 5 times as much as the P9 combo.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Ive searched the forums, and I cant seem to find an unbiased answer.
Does the 8454 (eclipses last years high end unit) have better processing power than Alpines 9855 (The glidetouch does not bother me and is it essentially the same in every aspect as the 9835 other than glidetouch, does 9835 have better SQ?)

Thank You VERY MUCH
The Eclipse will give you 5band PEQ for front channels and 5 band peq separate for the rear channels....great for a 2way active setup...if just running passives you have a 7band total.

Not 100% sure if the Alpine has either a 5band or 7band total for that deck.

The Alpine xovers do go lower (to 50hz vs Eclipse 63hz), both offer same slopes 6/12/18/24db

The Eclipse will give you 5band PEQ for front channels and 5 band peq separate for the rear channels....great for a 2way active setup...if just running passives you have a 7band total.
Not 100% sure if the Alpine has either a 5band or 7band total for that deck.

The Alpine xovers do go lower (to 50hz vs Eclipse 63hz), both offer same slopes 6/12/18/24db
Best reply thus far, I love technical explanations, not just I heard this and that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

For biamping capabilities, the Eclipse would be the winner. Anytime you have an independent control on each driver, you have more control over your stage.

BTW, a couple of pointers...

Alpine 9855 and 9835 are both 5 band parametric.

Alpine 7990 is coupled with the H900 which completes the F1 status... which is far superior than the P9 combo.

P9 can be had for $1200 if you look hard enough.

Lowest I've seen Alpine combo, probably 3k.

You can go with another Alpine combination, any Ai-Net capable unit coupled with the H701... which can be had for $500 with display, which be better than the Alpine and Eclipse, and par with the P9 combo.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.