PPI Amplifier Funny

GCAdidas13
10+ year member

heh.
So I install my PPI PCX4125, and i go to set the crossover.

OMG, there's a friggin' dial that has 30hz on one end and 4khz on the other!

of course it's not linear, it would have to be logarythmic.

omgithertz4tt.jpg

I just thought it was funny that they're like, this side's 30 and this side's 4,000 and we'll let you decide what the rest of it is.

thats the only problem with amplifiers. the least they can f'in do is eaither put a digital display for the settings (that will display gain voltage, xover freqs, input voltage, amperage, among other things - that is all selectable with a single button to rotate thru what you want displayed.

that would be QUITE a kickass feature for any company... the only ones that i know of that come close are clif designs, mcintosh, i think audiobahn has it too - but they are analog voltage and amperage meters. i want a real time digital display - like the digital part on a capicator.

the board would cost almost nothing to integrate eaither... maybe have ALL the settings in there... hit a button, changes to GAIN: (displays voltage) - non editable, hit the button again, says Xover Freq HP - 1-2 : (displays freqency) hz - and then there is a up arrow and down arrow to specifically set the exact freqency that it cuts.

i dunno - maybe im asking too much. but it is the 21st ****ing century...

It's not all that uncommon //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

#'s aren't as important as the change in sound anyways //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

Req - nice tagline.

I realized that when you're twisting the xover, there's 41 different "detents."

Basically, when you're twisting the xover, it will snap into the nearest detent. In the manual there is a big list of the 41 detents in the xover setting.

soooooo actually it's not that bad, now that I figured out the detent thing.

click here for definition

uhhhhhhh mk. pictures on my thread later tonight :-D

thats the only problem with amplifiers. the least they can f'in do is eaither put a digital display for the settings (that will display gain voltage, xover freqs, input voltage, amperage, among other things - that is all selectable with a single button to rotate thru what you want displayed.
that would be QUITE a kickass feature for any company... the only ones that i know of that come close are clif designs, mcintosh, i think audiobahn has it too - but they are analog voltage and amperage meters. i want a real time digital display - like the digital part on a capicator.

the board would cost almost nothing to integrate eaither... maybe have ALL the settings in there... hit a button, changes to GAIN: (displays voltage) - non editable, hit the button again, says Xover Freq HP - 1-2 : (displays freqency) hz - and then there is a up arrow and down arrow to specifically set the exact freqency that it cuts.

i dunno - maybe im asking too much. but it is the 21st ****ing century...
dont the new alpine digital amps do something like that?

read your manual that came with the amp

start at page 15 (Q bass )

then to

page 16 (tcx crossover)

then to

page 17 (crossover detent chart)

you should be set some were at

low pass feq (19 detent) 100 hz

high pass feq ( 13 detent) 100hz

this is a good starting point

you can go higher or lower on each (feq)

read your manual that came with the amp
start at page 15 (Q bass )

then to

page 16 (tcx crossover)

then to

page 17 (crossover detent chart)

you should be set some were at

low pass feq (19 detent) 100 hz

high pass feq ( 13 detent) 100hz

this is a good starting point

you can go higher or lower on each (feq)

Right. I installed without looking at the manual much, and then i found that xover page and reported on it. But for some reason when setting the HP, the 13th detent doesnt really sound like 100hz, but maybe it's just throwing off my perception because my last amplifier was set at 90hz with -24db/oct, and this is 12db/oct.

Meh

Brian

the 24 versus 12 is a huge difference, because the 24 will make a much steeper cutoff for the rest of the frequencies 'next to' your point that you are cutting.

steeper = less sound below that point

... non? steeper = more sound below that point

crossovers dont BLOCK the sound TBH - they more or less create a point where the sound starts to 'roll off' or slope down at -db's

its confusing... but youd have to see a chart to fully understand i guess (least i did)

Thats funny. I have the PPI FRX-456 which also has the detent configuration. It really is quite accurate. And really quite expensive. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Rockford Type RF amps have DSP (digital signal processing), along with newer Kenwood eXcelons, newer V12s, and Kicker SX series. Of course, those amps aren't all that cheap, but the DSP on 'em is **** nice. It's nice to be able to set the crossover points precisely, and time delay never hurts either.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.