powering boston acoustics spz60s

Participant count
  • Participant list

traksta15
10+ year member

I love lamp.
I just bought some boston acoustic spz60's and im wondering if my current orin 3002 (150x2 @ 2 ohms, 300x1 @ 1 ohm) would be enough to push them, or should I just buy the orion 4002 (200x2@2 ohms, 400x1 @ 1 ohm)

also, being that these are 3 ohms speakers, how would I go about wiring them into a 2 channel amp? Maybe im just having a brain block and the 3 ohm thing is throwing me off, would I just wire them as if they were 4 ohm speakers like any other comp set? Thanks in advance guys!!

From what I hear the z series like alot of power to get really going. Even the second amp you mention may not be enough, I would look at a 300x2 @4ohms minimum. As far as the 3 ohm thing goes, any 2 channel amp can run them, all it is is to get a bit more power out of an amp compared to most comp sets that are at 4 ohms. If an amp is rated at 100x2 @4, it should do 150x2 @3, see my point?

From what I hear the z series like alot of power to get really going. Even the second amp you mention may not be enough, I would look at a 300x2 @4ohms minimum. As far as the 3 ohm thing goes, any 2 channel amp can run them, all it is is to get a bit more power out of an amp compared to most comp sets that are at 4 ohms. If an amp is rated at 100x2 @4, it should do 150x2 @3, see my point?
So off the orion 200x2 (would be seeing more than because it's an underrated amp and is at 3 ohms) still wouldn't be enough?

Honestly I dont know how underrated that orion amp is. I have heard that those speakers want 300-400 rms. I actually have some experience with this. My Diamonds(in my sig) sounded fairly crappy on one sundown 100.2( getting 100 watts per side). At loud volume, sounded like the mid would bottom out. Went and got a second 100.2, bridged 1 into each side for 400 rms, and they SANG!! And still sing today.

they're pretty underrated from what i've read. My 1200d puts out 1300-1400rms, they're rated at 12 or 13~ volts or something like that. So the 4002 won't be enough? They'd probably be seeing 250ish

It all depends on your tastes, if you listen loud a lot like I do, you will want more power, if not the the 250x2 should be good for ya. My personal philosophy is to go with more amp, and turn the gains way down, for more headroom, it cleans up the sound quite a bit. Example: In my case, my mids are rated at 200 rms per side. I have 400 rms going to each side with gains wayyyy down, the amps dont work hard, and the distortion is nice and low, even when I get to 250 watts output. With a smaller amp that maxes at 250 rms, the distortion is a lot higher at high volume.

ok, im going to try and hunt down an orion 6002 or 8002, I like my amps to match (for aesthetic reasons) and i've grown fond of these older orions.

Thats what I would do, or get 2 of the 4002 models, and go dual mono. There are benefits to having 2 seperate amps: Eliminates crosstalk on the amp side, more headroom due to 2 seperate power supplies. Cons are harder to wire, and need more room for amps, also more current draw out of ex. 2 400x1@4 amps than 1 800x1@4 amp.

I thought about that, but I don't know if i'd have the room for 3 amps. I have an optima yellow top, doing the big 3 with 1/0 ga wire, stock alt. But I don't think it's very advantageous in my situation. I found the 6002 and 8002 using google magic, i'll probably run them off my 3002 til I get a bigger amp. How much second skin do you guys think i'll need for just my front doors? I was thinking 20 sq ft each side, think that'll be enough.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.