Powered or Pre-loaded?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Drivin' Dave

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm just getting into all of this, so be patient with me. All I could really afford was a 2016 Chrysler 200 LX. It has a basic Uconnect 5.0 4 speaker system, that actually sounds pretty good, for me at least. It seems to have a relatively crisp mid-range and top end. But more, and better bass I'm sure would help. And I'm sure you know what I mean.
I'm thinking a subwoofer might help refine things. My question is, what is the difference between a powered subwoofer, and a pre-loaded subwoofer. Things I see on-line make me think they're the same, but what do I know. One supplier (Pioneer) I was looking at showed 2 separate items, one being powered, and the other pre-loaded.
Can someone straighten me out, and possibly tell me which I should be looking at more closely. I want to keep it simple, inexpensive, effective, and compact. I don't want a great big giant box in my trunk.
Any help would be most welcome..................Thank you...Dave

powered has an amp included. Pre loaded is just the box and the subs, you'll need to buy an amp. either way you need to buy a wiring kit and a line out convertor of some sort to get signal to the amp.

All you could afford was a 2016 Chrystler 200 LX car....lmao like there was no older vehicles to choose from. Besides the newer vehicles are getting harder to work on.

Jeff hit the nail on the head with your question, however, what's your budget for audio?

Thanks Jeff, that explains it. I'll be looking at a powered subwoofer.
When you're talking about a wiring kit and a line out convertor, is this what you mean?

Also, I'm thinking maybe a 10" rather than an 8" subwoofer. I just want to cleanup my jazz, blues, rock, country. No hip-hop or rap. And no bleeding ears. I'm 72 years old and I just want it to step things up a couple of levels. I've been listening to music carefully all my life. It's very important to me. But I don't need intense volume. I just need it to sound good at resonable volume levels. You understand.
A suggestion or two in the $300 to $700 range (all in) would be welcome, if you have any suggestions. I'm on a pension so I have to be careful.

Thanks again......Dave

Thanks Jeff, that explains it. I'll be looking at a powered subwoofer.
When you're talking about a wiring kit and a line out convertor, is this what you mean?

Also, I'm thinking maybe a 10" rather than an 8" subwoofer. I just want to cleanup my jazz, blues, rock, country. No hip-hop or rap. And no bleeding ears. I'm 72 years old and I just want it to step things up a couple of levels. I've been listening to music carefully all my life. It's very important to me. But I don't need intense volume. I just need it to sound good at resonable volume levels. You understand.
A suggestion or two in the $300 to $700 range (all in) would be welcome, if you have any suggestions. I'm on a pension so I have to be careful.

Thanks again......Dave

stay away from brands like boss, pyle, power acoustik, ssl aka the wire kit you listed.

for wire kits use knukonceptz or install bay. Audio control LC2i for a line out convertor to get signal from your rear speakers to your subs, As for sub, you can do a pioneer ts-w1200 pro. Its a 12 but its very suited to your type of music in a small sealed box(that you'll buy as well premade is fine) with a pioneer gm8701 amp. the setup will **** when it comes to rap and hip hop but it'll excel in your genres by far.

I would stay away from pre loaded and powered sub setups. They typically use bottom of the barrel trash subs and amps that dont perform and dont last long. The setup i listed is around 300.

Many thanks again Jeff, I think it's pretty obvious by now, that I'll be getting all this stuff professionally installed. So I just need to know exactly what to unload on them.
I think I'm getting a grip on what you're suggesting, but I just need some confirmation before, and if I order. I'm up here in Canada, and Amazon.ca is my friend, most of the time. Here's some links, how do they look?
Maybe I'm missing something, but even considering issues like exchange rates, and likely $150 to install, and sales taxes, I'd be pushing $1000. That would be very tough, and not likely to happen.
Any additional comments Jeff? What am I missing here?

Many thanks again Jeff, I think it's pretty obvious by now, that I'll be getting all this stuff professionally installed. So I just need to know exactly what to unload on them.
I think I'm getting a grip on what you're suggesting, but I just need some confirmation before, and if I order. I'm up here in Canada, and Amazon.ca is my friend, most of the time. Here's some links, how do they look?
Maybe I'm missing something, but even considering issues like exchange rates, and likely $150 to install, and sales taxes, I'd be pushing $1000. That would be very tough, and not likely to happen.
Any additional comments Jeff? What am I missing here?

Jesus christ the audiocontrol and the pioneer amp are absolutely stupid priced. You canadians are getting ripped off. the lc2i is only 69 usd and the pioneer is 110 usd even after the exchange rates it shouldnt be too bad. Well you'll have to shop around for an amp around 500-600 watts rms, and a line output convertor, not sure whats cheaper over there with good quality.

for the box i'd get something made with 3/4 mdf. 5/8 usually falls apart real easy

I see you like to cut right to the chase. That's good. I don't like ****in' around too much either. Thanks very much for your advise in all of this. That's a lot of good info. you gave me. I'll be doing some serious digging.
Just to confirm. Would you say that the equipment I listed was accurate, aside from details on the enclosure, and of course the prices. Just so I know what to shop for?

Thanks for all your help Jeff. I appreciate it. ...............Dave

yeah yo
I see you like to cut right to the chase. That's good. I don't like ****in' around too much either. Thanks very much for your advise in all of this. That's a lot of good info. you gave me. I'll be doing some serious digging.
Just to confirm. Would you say that the equipment I listed was accurate, aside from details on the enclosure, and of course the prices. Just so I know what to shop for?

Thanks for all your help Jeff. I appreciate it. ...............Dave
yeah its accurate, you can probably get away with a scosche or pac line out convertor or find one in your local classifieds if you are lucky.

As for the amp you can choose any of the rockford, alpine pioneer, kenwood amps around 500 watts and you'll be fine. If you need to go cheaper this soundstream would be okay as well

here's a test on its true power ratings, it falls a little short of its claimed 650 watt ratings but you still get around the power you need at 2 ohms which is what you'll be wired to with that pioneer sub.

Last time Jeff, and I won't bug you anymore. Let me have your take on this package.
I can order an amp. on Amazon. com, and the rest on Amazon.ca. A box locally...$??? and Labour...$???

Pioneer GM-D8701 600 Watt Amp.
Pioneer TSW1200PRO 12" Subwoofer.
Scosche LOC2SL Converter/Bass Control.
Knukonceptz KCA wiring kit.

That 4 part order would be $438.84 Cdn. after exchange, delivered.

Thanks once again Jeff(y)..........Dave

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.