Power handling 18" with 3" coils.

Participant count
  • Participants list
Can 18" subs with 3" coils handle 2500 rms? I know most decent brands can take more power than rated rms, but it's still only 3" coils. Can I find an new 18 that will take that kind of abuse for $400?
it depends entirely on the sub. Some motor designs excel at dissipating heat others do not. Then there is the quality of the coil it's self. Low quality coils often use low quality adhesive to hold the windings to the former. These adhesive often time have lower failure temperatures than there more expensive counter parts.

And whether it is an 18 or an 8 makes little difference 90% of the power handling comes from the motors ability to cool the coil and the suspensions ability to control the cones movement.

Theoretically an 18 would have a lower mechanical ration than a 10 because the cone is heavier and thus harder to control, but designers understand that and adjust the design to perform similarly.

Companies that often give bigger subs higher ratings usually do so because the coil size increases with the cone size. Others just lie for sales. And a few allow more power flow due to different basket designs changing the thermal flow of the motor itself

Can 18" subs with 3" coils handle 2500 rms? I know most decent brands can take more power than rated rms, but it's still only 3" coils. Can I find an new 18 that will take that kind of abuse for $400?
As in throwing a rated 2500 watt amp wired at 1 ohm, then thats completely easy. 2500rms clamped power is a completely different story thats some will handle it for a short period, some will not. I had a banda 7k on a pair of hdc3 18s zero issues.

I won't be playing the sub at that power continuously. Mostly just for a few minutes to let friends hear it. I will be running it at a round 1500 rms for longer periods on time. I'm thinking about an fi bl or ssd neo, maybe a $400 ssa, or sq hdc3, ab hd series, heck idk. So many subs, so little money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.