Power for Focal Polyglass system

mtu_jeep
10+ year member

Michigan
I am looking at going with a Focal Polyglass system with a Nak HU and amp, but am unsure which amp to power them. I plan of running 6.5" front and rear, the 165V2's that have a nominal power rating of 75RMS. I also plan on running a Focal 8" sub, the 21V, that has a nominal power rating of 200RMS. To power this system, I want to run either the Nak PA-2004 or the PA-1004 running all four speakers off the front two channels and the sub bridged on the rear channels. The power ratings for the amps are:

PA-1004

50x4@4ohms RMS

100x4@2ohms RMS

200x2@4ohms RMS bridged

PA-2004

100x4@4ohms RMS

200x4@2ohms RMS

400x2@4ohms RMS bridged

So with the PA-1004, essentially the 4 6.5" speakers would be getting 50W RMS vs. 100W RMS for the PA-2004. I don't think this should be a concern as I am sure Focal underrates them. But the subwoofer I am concerned because with the PA-1004, the 200W RMS is exactly what it is rated for vs. 400W RMS with the PA-2004 which is double the rating. Which amp should I go with? I don't want to underpower the speakers, but then again, don't want to overpower them? And no, I don't think I can go with a larger subwoofer, it would be a tight squeeze...

I just got my Focal Polyglass 6.5s in last week, and i just came inside from amping them with an Avionixx 440.4, (85x4 @ 4 ohm RMS) and I personally feel that this amp is more than enough for them. The gain isnt even close to half way up. 50 watts a piece would power the speakers very well IMO.

I just got my Focal Polyglass 6.5s in last week, and i just came inside from amping them with an Avionixx 440.4, (85x4 @ 4 ohm RMS) and I personally feel that this amp is more than enough for them. The gain isnt even close to half way up. 50 watts a piece would power the speakers very well IMO.
What do you think of the Focal's, sounds good?

I love them lol... they play SO loud (compared to what ive heard) and they stay VERY VERY clean. Im glad i paid a little bit more for em, definately worth it I think.

pete, i see that you are going from focal to cdt hd-62's. polyglass not cutting it for you or you just wana try something different?

Green- actually I should update my sig. I have been running the HD's in kicks for a week or two now.

I switched because I had the mids for the CDT a few years ago, but didn't get the tweeters out after that car was totalled. So when I got a new car an installer friend of mine offered me the polyglass set for really cheap.

The polyglass sounded pretty good (and would have probably sounded better if they were in kicks) but I missed the CDTs enough to email and order new tweeters and crossovers direct from CDT.

So thats how I got to where I am //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif now I just need to decide on a 12" sub to finish the car.

if you have the money, try a magnum 12''. you seriously will not be disappointed. whether your going for spl or sq, this is the best sounding sub i've ever heard. i'm sure i don't need to rave about it, as other has been for the last year. but believe me i've heard some great subs and this one is just in a class by itself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.