possible RCA problem or something else?

Participant count
  • Participant list

xachman17

About a month ago i noticed that even with my bass knob on my amp( 2yr old power acoustik 5500D) turned all the way down my amp was still producing bass, probably 20% of full volume. Then when I would turn the knob up the volume would go back to where the knob was set at then when turned back down the volume would stay down til the knob got to a certain spot and it would go back to 20%. I figured the knob was going bad so I ordered a new Hifonics zrx2000.1D and its still doing the same thing just on a much lower volume but still audible. Could the RCA be going bad and sending a signal that it shouldn't be or am I missing something?

Thanks

Did you switch out the knob cable when you got your new amp? Sounds dumb but I've seen people try to use a knob with the wire from the previous amp and it didn't work properly.

Yeah used all new with the new amp. So the only part of the system that is the same are the RCA'a and HU which is why I was wondering about the RCA's

the way to find out is to try some new rcas. If you don't want to pull out your deck you could get a RCA to headphone cord and test your amp by running the signal from your phone or iPod or something.

But I that still doesn't narrow it down because it could still be you RCA or headunit if doing it that way.

I guess just pull out your deck and try some different cables

Thats what I figured I'd have to do. I'll just switch the RCA's out. Just checking to see if anyone has had this problem before I started tearing stuff apart

wait, the bass knob is not going to turn off the signal to the sub completely. the gain on the amp also comes into play. and even the gain won't turn the amp off completely, it is still providing amplification with a bass knob and gain minimized.

bass knobs are just a potentiometer that the amp uses to either apply an EQ boost or a level control (each amp is different). the bass knob may not be linear.

what are you trying to achieve?

what are you using for source material for comparisons?

The amps i've had in the past have always turned the bass completely down or at least not audible same with the one the problem started happening with. Cause all of a sudden my amp had a constant audible signal being played. I understand it doesn't completely cut off the signal all I'm saying is that it went from being inaudible to audible without any in between and the new amp is the same way

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.