Possible blown amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list
As we were pulling into the garage tonight we started smelling a burnt fish smell. We thought it was an outside odor coming into the vehicle. I stepped outside into my garage and everything smelled fine. After further inspection my wife noticed white smoke was coming out of the amplifier. It's an FSD audio 1600. Zero issues until today. We weren't even listening to anything. The radio was on, but not loud enough to hear anything. Does a blown amp smell like burnt fish? Thanks

As we were pulling into the garage tonight we started smelling a burnt fish smell. We thought it was an outside odor coming into the vehicle. I stepped outside into my garage and everything smelled fine. After further inspection my wife noticed white smoke was coming out of the amplifier. It's an FSD audio 1600. Zero issues until today. We weren't even listening to anything. The radio was on, but not loud enough to hear anything. Does a blown amp smell like burnt fish? Thanks
burnt fish. lol.

sry for your misfortune, but that description is making me laugh.

Well.....If I saw white smoke coming out of my amplifier, I would assume that its not a good sign all together. Pull it and bench test it

Yeah. I know it's probably a goner. I have another amp I can use. I will need to upgrade my electrical in order to use it though. I guess everything has a lifespan. We've gotten 3 good years out of the amp. I can't remember what I paid for it, but it was cheap enough for my wife to agree to it. Lol! I wish it would've lasted longer though. I'm just not sure what could've caused this since it wasn't under any load. I thought clipping (dirty power) would blow an amp?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.