port area - air velocity noise?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Alex JB
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
OK, so I calculated a 16 sq" port area for the 2 E8's in my 1.1 gross cu ft box.

The port area I actually can get with my folded port design (my folded design is not ideal, probably going to increase noise from rotating eddy currents in air flow) is 18.3 Sq".

If I don't add material to the walls to reduce the port area, the influence of the increased area seems only to drive an increased port length compared to using the original 16sq" calculated, is this true?

It seems to go from 38.5" long to 45" long when increasing the port size.

Basically I wanted to go larger with the port to avoid noise and had a little space to play with to get longer port lenght to accomodate...

Is it going to help?

that is correct. as port area increases the port length also increases to keep the same tuning, unless of course the vol of the enclosure is increased.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.