Popping on certain songs from sub

stephens30228
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have had this same setup for about 2 months and never have adjusted anything on the amp or HU from day one. Well I just left work today and cranked up a song to my normal listening level and all of a sudden the sub popped twice so I turned it down, it did fine, then not knowing if it was the stereo I turned it up again with me at the speakers this time and yes it was the speaker. What causes this, everything has previously been fine, and as far as I can tell it is only on low drops, I would think if the speaker is destroyed ALL songs would pop regardless of frequency, please help!

check see if you have air leaking around your sub mounting surface,..you/could be clipping also and may have damaged the sub

Reaching it's mechanical throw. Turn your gains down.
Okay, I don't mind I am not the type to argue with someone who knows more than me, but why did it take 2 months to hit that limit on the same songs? And why only on certain frequencies?

Okay, I don't mind I am not the type to argue with someone who knows more than me, but why did it take 2 months to hit that limit on the same songs? And why only on certain frequencies?
the woofer has finally broke in more/flexed from factory sitting on a shelf/stiff..you have/met/reached its maximum excursion point is why you hear the popping sound

You said it only does it on the lower frequencis, correct? The lower frequencies make the sub excurt more. You could be bottoming out the sub also. Caused by too much power and/or box is too big.

Is it in a ported box?If so what is your subsonic filter set at? The sub may be unloading. Google"subsonic filter" and you will find something telling you what it should be set at. Also there are tutorials on here about setting you amp with a dmm. You can buy a dmm at home depot for about 35 dollars.

It does indeed sound like that sub is bottoming out, or, reaching it's limits. Not sure exactly why it could have taken 2 months to do so; it could be the break-in theory, that's about all that makes sense.
Heh, now this morning no problems what so ever, even with no adjustments... Makes no sense to me at all.

wait till later when it warms up..let us know what happens..its cooler right now..sub may be stiff atm,,until you start banging/heating it up

Check your electrical connections(batt,amplifier pos/ground,speaker wire,terminal connections,fuses, and holders) and your voltage at the amplifier terminals, with it correcting itself and only on lower notes( where the impedence drops= more current draw ) it sounds more like the amplifier running out of power and clipping the rails hard, than it does mechanical noise, next time it starts doing this try to have a multimeter handy and play the same notes over again at the same volume and check the VDC at the terminals on the amplifier

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.