polyfil ported?

Participant count
  • Participant list

pj_chevy03
10+ year member

please ban me
Alabama
Well i'm designing a box for someone and they want it ported, but the problem is is that there is only enough room for a sealed box. He wants the box tuned low (26 hz) and he wants a decent amount of port area as well. We have tried the sub (a dpl12 which is basically a shiva) in a 1.5 cu.ft. box tuned to 26 hz. I know I know it's a small box for the sub but the output was suprising and the loweend was not lacking like I thought it would. Any way, the most airspace he can give the sub BEFORE port displacement is 1.6 cu.ft. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

The plan:

Internal airspace before ANY displacements is 1.6 cu.ft.

After the port displacement we have 1.2

and after sub displacemnt we have 1.1 cu.ft.

Tune the box to 31 hz. Add polyfil which in turn tricks the sub into thinking its in a larger box which in turn lowers the tuning to an aproxximate number below 30 hz.

Has anyone ever tried this? Will polyfilling a ported box work?

Even if this does not work we will plug the port making it sealed.

Any insight or suggestions?

My subs specs say to add a polyfill liner. I guess kinda like a thin layer of insulation. If you put poly fill in it the air movement will shoot it out the port. But if you could find the liner like my subs require you could staple or glue it to the inside of the box.

at one point i saw kicker recommended using some kind of very thin mesh wire, chicken wire of some sort. cover over the inside opening of the port with it and add polyfill...idk just somthing i saw

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.