Polk db6501 vs Image Dynamic CTX-6.5cs or Rockford Fosgate T2652-S

Whh speakers

• Total voters

Kato4276
10+ year member

I am looking to upgrade the speakers in my WRX. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices ... Polk db6501 vs Image Dynamic CTX-6.5cs or Rockford Fosgate T2652-S along w/ matching 5.25 coax's. I will be using a Crossfire BMF400.4 or BMF600.4 to run them. Oh yeah, I listen to all types of music. I am looking for good, quality sounding, speakers. A sub will be added later, for now just doing the front and rear door speakers.

Any input is appriciated.

Bill

Image Dynamics, no contest here.

Ive heard all of them and I think the RFs get loudest, but the IDs sound a lot better and the Polk db's just don't belong here. The MM line would be better suited.

ID's. The MM series is more of a fair comparison. But even the MM's lack the midbass those ID's bring. I would pick the ID's. I'd never run RF speakers.

I put the polks in my daughter's car and the ctxs in my nephew's car. The ctx's have much more midbass while I liked the polk's tweeters better as I thought the ctx's were too bright. The only thing I'd caution is the depth of the ctx's. After adding a spacer to clear the window, we had to leave the stock covers off in the door panel of his 92 accord and it looks like $ss as he didn't want to butcher them up. They sound good though:)

Ok ... thanks for the info.

What if i threw in two other options? Would you still go with the Imge Dynamics over either the Incriminator Audio I65c or the Skar Audio VXI65 pro components.

Again I appriciate all the help and opinions.

Bill

What if i threw in two other options? Would you still go with the Imge Dynamics over either the Incriminator Audio I65c or the Skar Audio VXI65 pro components.

Bill
I wouldn't consider the comps you listed. Do yourself a favor and stick with the ID comps. They're really good comps that perform better than $300-$400 comps. You will be happy with the midbass, tweeter & power handling. Those comps will take a lot more power than rated.

Bill
Unless u up your budget a good bit. Pretty much anything u throw in can be thrown back out

Any knowledge how the following sets compare to the ID CTX-6.cs? I'm preferring to avoid ID due to internal "turmoir" (and maybe being absorbed by powerbass), rumors that new ID speakers are far inferior to what they were a few years ago, and invest with a company that has a better chance of existing in a few years.

Hertz DSK165 $160

Maximo 6 $170

Alpine Type-R $180

Helix Espirit $200

Polk MM6501 $220

basically, how does one decide on a set if none are available to preview?

Any knowledge how the following sets compare to the ID CTX-6.cs? I'm preferring to avoid ID due to internal "turmoir" (and maybe being absorbed by powerbass), rumors that new ID speakers are far inferior to what they were a few years ago, and invest with a company that has a better chance of existing in a few years.
Hertz DSK165 $160

Maximo 6 $170

Alpine Type-R $180

Helix Espirit $200

Polk MM6501 $220

basically, how does one decide on a set if none are available to preview?

I have not heard all, but I can tell you based on the price and SQ, I am sure the top two in any order would be the Hertz and the Morels. And many with agree with that. The Morels will need more power and if you add it, they may have a slight edge over the DSK's but if you have a lower powered amp, the DSK's will deliver their own without the extra power, no complaints on the mid bass at all even without an amp, properly installed and doors sealed with SD Material

These prices get awefully close to the new JBL MS-52C speakers. I haven't heard them, but the reviews seem fantastic, with most people saying these having best SQ for the price.

Here are a couple of reviews:

JBL MS62C Two-Way Component Speakers - Speakers - Talk Audio Online Car Audio Magazine & Forum - Talk Audio Online Car Audio Magazine & Forum - Magazine

JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

Out of the original bunch, I might have chosen the RFs. They have bi-amp capable crossovers which give you a lot more room for tuning the tweeters for your taste. I don't think that the quality of ID stuff has changed after the take over. Only the ownership changed. However, personally I'd be tempted to get the JBL MS speakers. Besides very cheap entry level products, JBL stuff is top notch. At the same time, if you can afford $250 speaker, HAT Imagine should probably be better, specially if you run it active or diy bi-amp setup with 2.2uf capacitor used for the tweeter high pass filter (since passive crossover does not seem to tame the tweeter enough)

Your going to get 100 different answers on what will sound best off of peoples personal experience with different sets, pretty much all good recommendations , but that doesn't mean they will fit your taste or application, and buying speakers after listening to them on a shops sound board ,is like picking up some smokin hot chick at a bar, you get her home, get all ready to go, only to find out her ****'s bigger than yours

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...