Plexi???

It would be awesome to have a plexi panel on ur sub box but that would be too expensive for me.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif But oh well:)

generally i would agree with Jmac...but if your running low power 10's or 8's you can get away with something as small as 1/2". i ran that on my w7 and it cracked in half. The other thing to consider is how large the span is......if the side is 20 inches wide you need to use thicker material (assuming you dont want to brace against the plexiglass).

also i have not yet tested, POLYCARBONATE, it is clear, and states it is 250x stronger than plexiglass/ acrylic

a little more expensive, but able to get away with thinner width, i am currently buyin parts for my box, and have chosen to use polycarbonate, although it has not yet come in yet.

the reason you do not want thin plexiglass is b/c it will flex, and that somehow screws stuff up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by terifi also i have not yet tested, POLYCARBONATE, it is clear, and states it is 250x stronger than plexiglass/ acrylic

a little more expensive, but able to get away with thinner width, i am currently buyin parts for my box, and have chosen to use polycarbonate, although it has not yet come in yet.

the reason you do not want thin plexiglass is b/c it will flex, and that somehow screws stuff up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
the somehow is the same somehow tells us we need to seal boxes.....the volume of the box changes...and low frequencies get poor response in free air spaces "infinite baffle".....where can you get the polycarbonate from? i and very intrested in it.

I found this guy on ebay selling pieces, but if you e-mail him with a request, i am sure he will give you an offer that in my case was an excellent one

for polycarbonate, email- Howard Everton [heverton@msn.com]

Originally posted by Jmac Low frequencies get poor response in infinite baffle since when ?
im not talking about the subs that are ment to preform in an infinite baffle....but more along the reasoning that tweaters and mid-range speakers are often not in sealed enclosures, those frequcy ranges respond better in open air than a 3x hz tuned sub does.

would the plexiglass affect the output? will it affect teh resonant frequency?

also, let's say it's longer than 20'', more close to ~30'' for a dual sub box. is it better to run one long pleiglass, or 2 use two pieces , which would be "connected" in the middle piece that separates teh chambers?

not speaking from expereience, but just like a long span of 2x4, it is quite weak, compared to two shorter spans,

get, that?

basically b/c theres a longer span of plexi with just one piece, it would weaken the middle of the plexi causing it to bend, go with two pieces....unless you would like to pay a fortune for 1" thick plexi

same problem i ran into, not enough money, a sheet that would cover a span that size, that your gonna cut most of it out for holes isnt worth it, my window was gonna run somewhere around 100, at a platics place where i live, but most of the ones i called, couldnt even sell me a cutom sized piece, i had to order a 4'x8' sheet probably running a few hundred dollars

just my input!

"what is an infinate baffle sub????"

Free air, your trunk will make the enclosire for you just mount the woofer to a solid front piece.....i my self have never heard an infinite baffle setup that i liked....i am a sealed man....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

nick3470

10+ year member
Ballin' on a Budget
nick3470
Ames, IA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date